x
Beta Member

Build a box option

Hello all! I have been getting a lot of requests from my customers to have a"build your own box" type of product. I sell macarons and have been trying to set up a single product that allows my customer to choose their box size, box packaging (for example the happy birthday packaging), and then fill that box with their choice of macarons. A box of 5 they can choose any 5 macarons, including multiple of the same flavor. 

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Hello @MacsbyCasi !

This is actually relatively easy to set up…except for the last part of your question. 

For the boxes, I think that the best idea would be to make each size box its own item (3 macaron, 5 macaron, 10 macaron….)

You could then have variations for the packaging styles. I recommend variations over modifiers for the packaging over modifiers because you can set out of stock alerts on variations.

Now the challenging part: Square doesn’t allow us to have the same modifier chosen multiple times. If someone wanted 3 vanilla and 2 strawberry in their 5 pack, there isn’t a way to do this. I haven’t heard of anyone who has made a good workaround for this yet either. You can always get creative with a massively long modifier menu of every flavor and combination, but ugh. 
I think your best bet is to have just a few modifiers (all the same, mix pack, certain flavors) then for in store sales you type in the choices in the item notes section, and for online sales, you creat an online-specific text box modifier and let them type in what they want. It’s not pretty and prone to problems with people who don’t understand, but I think it’s the best way to do it at this time. 

To create that text box modifier: open up the item in your online store dashboard, scroll to the modifier section. Add a modifier, choose text entry and follow the steps on the screen, giving it a unique name (for you, something like Which Macarons?). Now you can go into every box item and add that modifier onto the modifier list. 

I hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

I figured as much.

Is it possible to have a coder create something for me and add it to my site? 

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

Hi Ryan,

Has there been any update to this option?  There are SEVERAL other platforms out there that can handle this type of request.  It seems that it would be a big draw to keep sellers on this platform to have this availability. I for one, am a seller that is contemplating leaving weebly/square due to the lack of enhancements that come with other platforms.  It's very discouraging that these options are not available. 

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @thegourmetgrano,

I am sorry but this feature still is not available. 

I know this is incredibly frustrating, and I definitely understand you need to do what is best for your business.

I am happy to personally pass along this feedback to our Square Online team. To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post from one of our Seller Community Moderators.

Please let me know if you have any further questions! 

Message 5 of 5