x

CBD Sales through Square.

Opened a retail with a small section of CBD.  Wet met all requirements, but then were stalled due to health claims made on vendor website.  We have no claims of health benefits on any of our pages or social media.  The restriction is keeping us from moving forward with the program and Square is currently holding over $7k of sales that we have made on other items.  We can get no clear response or direction of what to do and can get no explanation on why our funds are locked besides generic email stating to remove medical claims from website.  We are not able to make changes to the vendors website, nor would we even consider requesting that of our vendors.   We have called and chatted with the support center numerous times to have our issue "escalated" to the review team, that we are not allowed to speak to or communicate with directly except to respond to their emails that state our account is under review.  We respond to those emails without any follow up.  

Has anyone experienced anything like this, and what are the best options?  If we left the CBD program, how long does it take to have a review and get funds unlocked?  What does the review entail.

We have been through the FAQs without resolution.  Any information would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

HI, is there any link or reference of your vendor's website?  Can you please share a screenshot or link?

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 2 of 14

Hello, Sent a screen shot via email.  Let me know if you did not get it and I will attempt to attach it here.

Message 3 of 14

HI, can you please send a screenshot or link?

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 4 of 14

138C0103-AD07-4E30-82F5-012735F89677.jpeg

Message 5 of 14

HI, can you please share a screenshot or link to your store?

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 6 of 14

HI Terri,

Our website (just created this week) is Mooncasterct.com and instagram is mooncasterllc.

We reference CBD as part of our concept, but absolutely no claims to health benefits or treating conditions.

Looking forward to your help.

Thank you

Moon Caster 

Message 7 of 14

HI, thank you for the link. 

There isn't any products for sale on your site.  BUT, your site does fall under the Prohibited Items, Occult Materials.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5089-prohibited-goods-and-services-with-square-point-of-sale

reply from Square Support on different discussion

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/What-constitutes-quot-occult-materials-quot/m-...

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 8.32.24 AM.png

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6386-why-can-t-square-support-all-businesses

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 8 of 14

This is actually the first that we have heard referenced that the reason we are locked is because of "Occult items."  we do not sell online, and the website is not even a week old.

Two months and $8k later we finally have slight clarity, but we still cant transfer funds.  I appreciate the research and responses.  This is much more information than I have gotten from the "escalation" calls or chats.

What I need now is specifically what steps I need to take to remove the hold on my funds and resolve this issue with square.  The category of "Occult" items is vague and broad, and can be interpreted many ways.  We have made efforts that we consider above and beyond at trying to comply with Squares stipulations. We are trying to do the right thing here, and are being punished by having our funds held hostage.

Please help.

Message 9 of 14

@katieand 

Hi Katie,  You had some ability to contact some departments within Square to assist in resolving some previous issues.  Is this something that you can provide some guidance on with regard to this situation?

We feel trapped.

Message 10 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hello @MoonCaster,

Thank you for reaching out, sorry to hear about this predicament you are in. I know these holds on the account are super disruptive to business operations! I would make sure that you do not have any medical claims on any products, make sure these claims are removed from your website, and if you have any social media that too. The hold will remain on the account until everything is removed. 

Message 11 of 14

Hello Mayap,

Thank you for the response. We have removed any and all potential claims of any benefits from CBD from the website and all social media.  We have also removed any reference to so called Occult claims from all web presence, as best we can tell.  The only referee get back from this escalation team is a reference to our CBD vendors website.  We do not show their link or information anywhere, and we are not able to change our vendors web presence.  There has been no other communication from this escalation team regardless of numerous attempts on our end.  Like I mentioned before, we are absolutely trying to abide by Square’s guidelines.  We are seriously considering taking our business to another point of sale.  This has been more than disruptive.

I appreciate any information you may be able to provide.

thanks

Message 12 of 14

Yes, i know someone who is going through the exact same thing, no contact, stuck in a loop, being asked for a lab report, saying its not good enough when it is, repeatedly locking down the site, coming back with claims of health claims, after removal still locked down payments every few weeks they keep harassing the merchant.  

Does anyone have suggestions on how to stop this very personal and violent form of malignant business neglect?

Message 13 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hello there @lavapaws 

I know how complicated and frustrating the CBD approval process is at Square. To be completely transparent, it can use some improvement. 

Now, regarding your report on the CBD approval process, I suggest you invite this Seller that is having this experience to the Seller Community. That way, we can take a closer look into this situation. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 14