x

California Tax By Location?

For California Tax where you have to charge different tax depending on the location you're shipping to if I am correct, how do you configure that with Square so when the customer enters the shipping data, Square knows which taxation rate to apply to it? The only taxation rates I have been able to find how to apply is do each purchase manually which is ridiculous or just a flat rate for everyone where it may not be accurate depending on district sold in?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Hi  @whitecelltech,

See this publication below.  You generally dio not need to collect the differing rates unless you are engaged in business in those locations.  In which case you can set up multiple locations within your Square Checkout.

http://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/formspubs/pub105/#special

Bob

Message 2 of 7

@rsklar So if I am correct from the publication you sent me, If the tax rate for my district is 8.25%, as long as that is the only district I operate out of for now, any sales made to other districts and out-of-state are just charged the 8.25% rate? And this only changes if I create another nexus in a different district correct?

Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 7

The way I read it, being a Cali native, is that you charge the district tax for sales within your district and the 7.25% sales tax for everyone else (Statewide tax) since you are not "engaged" in business in those other districts.  I just got off the phone with a buddy who lived in So Cal and sells Custom T-Shirts.  This is how he has been doing it for 20+ years.

I am not a tax expert, I think you could call the BOE and verify, but think of the logistical nightmare if you had to report differing tax rates to every district you sent a sale to.  Ouch!

BTW hope your not in one of the districts burning down.

Bob

Message 4 of 7

Ok, that makes sense to do just charge the 8.25% to whoever it is sold to within my district and the statewide %7.25 for everyone else in CA and outside of CA.

Also, since I am at school part of the year, I set my corporate address as my home address which is a different county from where I'd be operating from, is the address I actually hold operations from at school the district that is the 8.25% tax then as I don't actually operate at the corporate address?

Is there a way to configure Square to recognize if someone is within your same county and apply that tax without me doing it manually because even having to manually separate two would be a logistical nightmare on a large scale. 

(Also I'm not near any wildfires! Thanks for asking haha.)

Wyatt

Message 5 of 7

It looks like you would need to choose your operating location for tax.  

• Have any kind of permanent or temporary business location in the district, including a warehouse, salesroom, or office;
  • Have any kind of representative or agent in the district, even temporarily, who makes sales, takes orders, or makes deliveries for you;

If you do not conduct any business in the district you list, I would make sure your address reflects where you do, otherwise you will have to differentiate and collect the district taxes for both plus the Statewide taxes for everyone else.  That is 3 locations.  You can set this up in the system.

As far as how the system recognizes which distirict you are in, I would defer to Customer Support or someone else here.

Message 6 of 7

Ok, yes I only actually operate in the one district, the other location is just listed at a corporate address as I move around locations within my district at school yearly usually. I'll reach out to customer support and see how to configure it to recognize what is within my district and what is outside of my district as that would make my sales process much easier.

Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 7