x
Beta Member

Can I change how I have items set up in a test area first?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Change my set up

We have been using square for many years now. Our business has changed alot over the years. I want to change our whole register and how we have items setup.  We are open everyday and i find it way too hard to change the whole system in a day. Is there a way i can set up a new register in a test area and when ready just swith from old to new? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

I did something similar when I did a purge of former menu items. For me, I was hesitant to do such a massive change to a live database.

Here's what I recommend: create a new location (Account & Settings -> Business -> Locations). Make that location match your current item library and settings. Log out of your app and back in. When you log in, it will ask what location you want. Point it at the new location.

Now you can make all the changes you want to your normal location without fear of borking something your employees need. At any time you can do the log out/log in trick to see if your changes are what you need. Once you're happy with your changes, you can put the app back to the main location. Then I recommend going back to the locations and disabling your temporary location.

Only catch I've found about this: you'll have to make sure you're looking at all locations for any comparative sales reports. If you just look at your main location your numbers will be incorrect.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 2