x

Can I modify my existing tax setting?

I am currently setting up my inventory for in-person sales only. I was wondering if it matters which sales tax setting one has; add to price or include in the price. I had selected the latter but was considering changing the setting but did not know if such a thing matters or how to do this change. Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

It does make a big difference. One you are charging additional tax ( like in the United States)  and the other is like in Europe where the tax is already included. 

So so yes you need to choose the correct tax for what you are doing. Otherwise you will have problems come tax time. 

You should use add to price and enter the correct sales tax rate for where you live (assuming you are in the United States)

https://squareup.com/dashboard/items/taxes

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

Best Answer

It does make a big difference. One you are charging additional tax ( like in the United States)  and the other is like in Europe where the tax is already included. 

So so yes you need to choose the correct tax for what you are doing. Otherwise you will have problems come tax time. 

You should use add to price and enter the correct sales tax rate for where you live (assuming you are in the United States)

https://squareup.com/dashboard/items/taxes

Message 2 of 11

Thank you for your response. Thought, my part of my question still exists. So, if I was in the US, I should add tax to price? I have the tax rate set but choose, for some stupid reason, so include in price. Can I go in and change it, so it is added to price? 

As I previously mentioned, this is for in-person transactions.

Message 3 of 11
Super Seller

Yes you can change it at the link I have in my previous reply. Click on the tax rate then click the drop down box below your tax name to choose add rax to item Price. 

The way you have it now you were collecting tax but getting less for each item you sold due to say a $9 item selling for $9 with63¢ in tax built in rather than a $9 item selling for $9.63. 

Message 4 of 11

Okay. I believed I followed your directions though I currently do not see the difference. Should I? 

Message 5 of 11
Alumni

Hey @Jewels1 - You should see a difference once you run a transaction. If you're still having issues, feel free to reach back out and we can help you further.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 6 of 11

Okay. Is there a way to do a second practice transaction?

Message 7 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

You shouldn't need to go as far as the payment screen to see the tax on your transations.  You can do a full transaction and then just return it and if you do a "practice" transaction do it as cash.

Message 8 of 11

One can keep tabs on cash Transactions through Square? 

Message 9 of 11
Super Seller

Yes Square POS can handle cash, credit, debit and all forms of payments.  

you can see all your transactions and what type of transaction your transactions dashboard.  https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions

Message 10 of 11

Is there a link here that can describe the process? Currently, cannot try it until I can get my hands on my sister's Ipad.  Thank you!

Message 11 of 11