x

Can I use Square Online Store for a virtual silent auction?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Virtual silent auction

With the possibility of having to cancel our art fair and silent auction on June 6th, we thought we would try an online store to to sell our merchandise (mugs and t-shirts) and silent auction items. Would the online store be a good venue for this? 

We also are wondering if the artists in our fair could add items to the site and be paid for them directly or if the money would have to be routed through us.

Suggestions?   

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

@cdonnelly Thanks for reaching out! This is not something that is currently on our roadmap, but we will continue to track all feedback that comes through these channels. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Seller Community!!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Alumni

Hi @dragonartsgroup,

Welcome to the Seller Community. 😄

Currently, I don't believe that our online store is the best fit for what you are trying to achieve. It normally works as a one-way system to buy a product and deduct it from a set inventory; and It does not have the capability of collecting bids and taking the highest amount. Also, all funds collected will only be delivered to one linked bank on file. There is no way to send designated funds to multiple different banks at a time.

Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 12

Is it possible to post a minimum price and allow the buyer/bidder to pay more?  Maybe a separate line item for a donation - they may pay the miniumum + a donation?

Message 3 of 12
Alumni

@dragonartsgroup

That could potentially work. You would just have to refund the donations that you don't collect afterwards.

There are two things that I would be cautious about:

1) When looking over your reporting, any donations will not filter into your sales section, they will show up as "donations."

2) I would also check in with a local tax professional to see if there are any potential legal conflicts.

Reach back out if you have any other questions. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 12

I'd like to set up a virtual online event for my clients on Zoom and have them reserve their spots in my online store under events, but can't seem to get around the mandatory location field which in this case would be the web...

How can I set up a virtual event in my online store?

Message 5 of 12

Hey @LoveLyttle,

I moved your post to an existing thread where another seller had a similar question.

Check out @Alex_'s answer for more details. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 12

Hi all. so new to Square.  I have the app installed on my phone, but now I need to know if I can process cards from an online auction.  Apparently after the auction closes, the company sends me all the info for those who have made purchases.  Is it really as simple as taking their credit card number, entering it on my Square app and processing the payment that way?  In the convoluted world we live in, I just find it hard to think it would be that easy.  I'm scared to death the auction will close and I'll have an issue processing peoples cards.  Can anyone help?  Thanks SO much!

Cath in Perth, Ontario.

Message 7 of 12
Alumni

It sounds like you are asking whether it's possible to manually accept credit cards, @MaberlyCath.

You can learn more about that here. This thread about auctions may also help shine a light here.

Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 8 of 12

Can I get a clarification... Is there an Auction Solution with Square up. Simple question. Yes or no. Please advise.

Message 9 of 12

• I'm wondering if auction tracking is something that Square is working on for the future? It's a function that I would be extremely interested in. If not, is there an auction software that communicates with Square that you would recommend? Thank you!
Message 10 of 12

Best Answer

@cdonnelly Thanks for reaching out! This is not something that is currently on our roadmap, but we will continue to track all feedback that comes through these channels. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Seller Community!!

AshleyK
Message 11 of 12

This is something that I am interested as well. With the popularity of box breaks in the retail collectibles sector, we are currently using the Whatnot app, but if it can be done through Square, that would be much easier to set it and leave it with a countdown clock or something similar to how Pristine Auction is running theirs. Just a thought. If it does become something on the "roadmap" please let me know.

Message 12 of 12