x

Can I use Square in Australia and America?

Hi! I have a square which I ordered while in the USA (where I'm from), but want to set it up in Australia (where I'm living). There's no option for international card use and bank accounts, even though The Square is now being used here. How can I set me account up for business in Australia? Pleas help! Thanks!!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @Emilyberry! Thank you for joining the Seller Community and asking for advice. 👍

TLDR: Yes, but it's little tricky.

To get going, you would need to download the Australian version of the app on to your device and activate an Australian account. You would also need to link an Australian bank account as well. 

The same goes for a United States account. You would need to activate a U.S. account and download the U.S. version of the app. You would also need link a U.S. bank account. You will only be able to use each account when you are in the country it is associated with. 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Best Answer

Hello @Emilyberry! Thank you for joining the Seller Community and asking for advice. 👍

TLDR: Yes, but it's little tricky.

To get going, you would need to download the Australian version of the app on to your device and activate an Australian account. You would also need to link an Australian bank account as well. 

The same goes for a United States account. You would need to activate a U.S. account and download the U.S. version of the app. You would also need link a U.S. bank account. You will only be able to use each account when you are in the country it is associated with. 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Message 2 of 14

I've just been told my brand new card reader won't work in Australia.  Can someone tell me why?   WHY????

Message 3 of 14
Square

@sdarmody - Kind of what I mentioned above, with out getting into too technical of an explanation, different regions have different security standards. The reader in the US is not the same reader used in Australia. As to your second question, the migration to EMV cards in Australia was completed many years ago, so the magstripe reader can't be used there. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 14

How do you go about downloading the Australian Square iPhone app?  I searched in the Apple Store and there was nothing showing.  Help!  I have an iPhone 7 and have a 3 week concert tour.  I really need to get Square set up.  I have an Australian Checking Account the promoter has set up for me.  I just purchased the Square Reader and Dock.

Message 5 of 14
Square

@sdarmody - From my understanding, you wouldn't need to download an additional app. You would just need to ensure you're signed into your Australian account when you are there. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 14

This is what Facebook Square said.  "To open up an Australian Square account you will need to be an Australian citizen and have a physical address we can use for verification in Australia.  Open an account here: http://squ.re/2m0mDVL  and link it to an Australian bank account.  Setup the Square account in that person’s name and info. You will need to download the Australian version of the Square App when you are physically in the country."

Message 7 of 14
Square

@sdarmody - I'll double check on this for you and follow up. I'll also touch base with my colleague. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 8 of 14
Square

@sdarmody - Just chatted with one of our App Release Managers. You would not need to download a separate app, in fact, you probably wouldn't be able to. The same app can be used globally. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 9 of 14

Thanks so much.  I've logged into my Australia account, but it won't connect to my brand new wireless card reader.  Please dont tell me I'll have to buy an Australian version. Or is it that the app knows I'm in the USA?

Message 10 of 14
Square

@sdarmody - The readers are a bit of a different story. These are region specific (different standards). Honestly, your best bet is to manually enter payments or have an Austrilian reader shipped to your friend there waiting for you. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 11 of 14

Does this apply to the small magnetic stripe reader as well?

Message 12 of 14

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Hi can I use Square in Australia 

Can I use square in Australia and change it to my Australian  bank account?

Message 13 of 14
Super Seller Alumni

Here's a link to another thread where your answer can be found.  In short, yes you can, but you have to have a completely different setup than your American one.

Judy T Shumway
Message 14 of 14