x

Can Square devices be used with Google Chromebooks?

We have Google Chromebooks at school and would like to take square payments for entry fees for sporting events and concessions?  Is this possible? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

No.  Square only works on iPhones, iPads, and many (but not all) Android phones and tablets. 

Square would work great for charging a gate fee and would be ideal in a concession stand.  You would get a ton of data to track sales on candy bars, sodas, etc to know what actually sold that day instead of you just seeing what cash you have.  You can use Square register for free if all you want to do is take cash but you can use the credit card processor side of square to open up all the other payment options as we continue to move into a cashless society. 

It wouldn't cost that much to get setup and  running, basically just an ipad and a stand for it (you don't need to use the Square stand for $100 if you don't want to though it is nice and heavy) any $15 or so stand will hold the ipad.  If you want paper receipts then it will cost a bit more to buy a printer too.

Message 2 of 5
Admin

Right on, @VanKalkerFarms! 💯

@wjackson, for more specifics on which devices are supported, check out this resource — you might already have a compatible Android or iOS device. You may find our Square Register Guide to be useful as well.

Welcome to the community, and let us know if you have any other questions! 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 3 of 5

I'm trying to take first transaction and my reader doesn't seem to be working, could it be my headphone jack? I have an Iphone 5

Message 4 of 5
Square

It could be, especially if you have a case on your device as well, @Rachelle, as that can prevent the Reader from plugging in all the way. 

Otherwise, check out our troubleshooting tips in our Support center, and contact us if they don't do the trick.

Message 5 of 5