x

Can a customer email themselves an eGift Card (use the same email address for sender and recipient)?

Hi, I have a customer trying to send themselves an eGift Card becuase they would like to print it out and physically gift it to their recipient. They are trying to use the same email address in sender and recipient fields, but they received an email from Square stating that the receipient email address is invalid.  Are they not allowed to use the same email address for the sender and receipient? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

I don't believe that you are not allowed to use the same email address in both fields.  It is possible they mistyped the email in the recipient box.

Message 2 of 7

Checked the email they used and it’s accurate.. so it must be that you can’t use the same email address?

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

Message 4 of 7
Admin

Hey @JDuarte and @VanKalkerFarms

I just tested this and I was able to use the same email address for the sender and recipient when purchasing an eGift card.

It sounds like your customer was able to complete their order but we weren't able to deliver the email with the actual eGift card  — is that correct? If the same email address is entered your customer should receive two emails, one notifying them of the purchase and another with the eGift card itself, which they can print and give to their recipient.

Our Support team will be able to investigate what happened here in more detail if you could give us a call? They'll need the email address that your customer entered to purchase the gift card if you can have it to hand! 

Keep in mind in mind ordering an eGift card this way could lead to confusion as the eGift card can be redeemed with a 16-digit redemption code or the email address entered for the recipient. Also, customers can select 'Send on a Future Date' so the eGift card arrives as a nice surprise! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 7

Hmm odd! Yes, I will call in then. Thanks for confirming that you can infact use the same email. Am I not able to see the redemption code that is provided to them on my end? 

Message 6 of 7
Admin

Sounds good! You won't be able to see the redemption code as the seller/business owner, but your customer will be able to see it if they entered their own email address in both sender and recipient fields. (Of course ideally the recipient of the eGift card receives the redemption code by email.)

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 7