x

Can people pay more than my invoice shows them to pay?

Can my clients pay more than my invoice shows them to pay?

I have decided to go to a donation based business only and I want to give them an invoice of what they are receiving and be able to have them pay what they think the service is worth regardless of the amount on the invoice.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

@gailswift It's not possible to allow customers to pay more than the invoice amount currently. Though if it's appropriate you can allow customers to add a tip? You can enable tipping when you send an invoice,or you can set it as a default from your Invoice Settings.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 9

I would love to have this as an option. For us, it would be a great way to gift employees with a stipend to spend in-house without them having to carry a gift card around with them. Then we could create an invoice and add the cash gift amount to the invoice, leaving a credit for them to use.

Message 3 of 9

I have a client who is making wedding payments. I went into Square and set up automatic invoicing for 1 year, with the overall payment split into 12 months, with invoices auto set to send the same day every month. The client just asked if she can pay OVER the invoice amount sometimes when she can afford to. I can’t find this function. The invoice is only allowing her to pay the scheduled amount, and no more. The only thing I can think of is to turn the tip function on, but that wouldn’t count against the entire balance in the program. Anyone know how to set it up so clients can pay more than the invoice amount in recurring payments?

Message 4 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Kansascityphoto! Welcome to the Community and congrats on your first post. 🏆

I merged your post to another existing thread where another seller had the same question.

At the time- there's not a way to pay over the scheduled amount but we can track requests for it on this thread with our Product Team.

I see where you're coming from in terms of paying off the amount owed early if they have the money so it would make sense to possibly implement this in the future!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 9

We are looking for this feature as well. The customer is paying scheduled payments for a group that is all chipping in. She doesn't want their money in her account for long, so she wants to pay all of it when she has it.  Our schedule is for convenience, like the wedding person above - so we'd be happy to let her pay when she's ready. Today she wanted to pay an 'overdue' amount AND the amount due in April. She cannot. From what I read, there is no elegant nor convenient way to do this. I just edited the invoice from a 3-payment to a 2-payment, making the deposit amount what she wants to pay today and the balance due on the final due date. I guess I'll have to go in and continue editing the invoice until next fall. Quite inconvenient. I understand not allowing a customer to pay LESS than minimum due. However, I'd love the option, like "allow a tip," to let a customer pay more than minimum due. 

Message 6 of 9

Hello @DZManor and Welcome to the Seller Community

Thank you for surfacing the need for this feature. I will make sure to pass it over to our product team for their visibility and consideration when working on future updates to Square Invoices.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 9

I'm having the same issue here. I just sent out a long-term project invoice to a customer who wishes to pay over the initial deposit amount, and then continue to make payments as she has the money. I'm saddened that there isn't an easy way for sellers to accommodate these very generous customers!

Message 8 of 9

Thanks for adding your voice to this feature request, @CaA

When an invoice is still outstanding and hasn't been paid in full yet you can edit it to add an additional item, e.g an item called "tip" to allow your customer to pay more than initially discussed. Select the three dots next to the invoice and select Edit invoice make any changes. You could also consider sending them a checkout link as a workaround. Let us know if either of these solutions could work for your business in the meantime! 

Ps. Welcome to our community! I noticed it's your first post 🙂 

Message 9 of 9