x

Can you have a fundraiser through Square if the business is not set up as a non-profit?

I know you can fund raise through Square as a non-profit but not exactly clear on what that means. Does the business have to be non-profit? Or is Square the non-profit avenue?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

@dls19 - Congrats on your first post and welcome to the community.

Sure can! You don't have to be a non-profit to accept donations or to run a fundraiser.

I recommend creating an item named Fundraiser or Donations in your POS device so it's easy to track when pulling an Item Sales Report. Then leave the price blank/variable so your customers can donate any amount they wish. 

I hope this helps!

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

By doing it this way, wouldn't sales tax be charged on the "donation" item?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Edds - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

Following Justin's suggestion above, you can use our Tax Rule feature to make the "donation" item tax exempt. Conditional tax rules allow you to preset conditions where taxes won’t be applied. 

During your tax rate setup, make sure to select items that won’t have tax applied when a specific dining option is used. If you have already created your sales tax rate, you can edit your tax rate to add this rule directly from the Sales Taxes section on your Square Dashboard.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4