x

Chip Reader Setup Troubleshooting

I have a Samsung Galaxy 7.0 tablet. I have been using my Square magnetic reader for over a year and all was well. However, with my new chip reader, I'm having difficulty getting it to work. I have done the following:

• I have gone to Square.com/setup and watched the videos and the instructions.
  • I have downloaded the upgrade of the register.
  • I'm connected to WiFi and my Bluetooth is on.  
  • My chip reader has been charged. 
  • I have selected the card reader setting for "contactless & chip reader."
  • I have pressed the button on the reader and got 4 flashing yellow lights.

But I don't get a message on my register indicating that all is ready.  Am I looking in the wrong place?  Also, where do I enter my serial number? The instructions say to go to register, but I don't see any place to enter the numbers that won't create a sale.

Thanks,

Tamlyn

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone and everything worked fine the 1st time I used the Contactless + Chip Reader then the second time I used it, it would not pair.

Message 2 of 10

I have had the same problem as Donna. I have a Samsung 5 phone. The first time I set it up it worked just fine, now it won't pair. Anyone have any luck figuring out how to fix this. 

I have uninstalled Square and reinstalled it. 

My Bluetooth is on.

Reader is charged.

I have had bluetooth forget the reader, then scan again, still won't pair. 

Message 3 of 10
Square

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues with our reader. This does NOT sound like a good experience. Let's see if we can't get to the bottom of what's going on!

To get going, I do have a couple questions: 

@Tamlyn - Are you using the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Verizon, or Wifi version? I want to make sure that your device has been tested by our engineering folks, and has been officially marked as compatible.

@DonnaA @LLangstraat - From what I can tell, all of the of the Samsung Galaxy S5's are officially supported, so we should definitely be able to get you back up and running. It looks like both of you have already covered the basics here, so let's try to force shutdown your reader. To do so, just hold down the reader’s power button for 15-20 seconds, then let go. Afterwards, just turn the reader back on by pressing the power button again. At this point, you should be able to re-pair the reader as if you just took it out of the box for the first time.

Please comment if you need more help. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 10

This problem has been resolved.  I thought I had updated to the most current version of my tablet's OS but apparently I hadn't.  The update solved the problem and I'm now connected.  Thank you all for your assistance.

Tamlyn

Message 5 of 10
Square

@Tamlyn - So glad to hear! 👍🏻

@DonnaA @LLangstraat - Look forward to hearing back from you! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 10

Thank
Message 7 of 10

I want to buy the chip reader 

Message 8 of 10

Good to know

Message 9 of 10

I'm having the same trouble with the galaxy s5. Updated both software....fales to pair every time. ; (  I have a huge trade show.... I wish there would at least be an 800 number to help me. I'll check back tonight I'll check back tonight Friday August 11th to see if someone was able to post help

Message 10 of 10