x

Creating a negative price item!!

Hello everyone,

I know that this topic has been raised and brought up numerous times but without any official patch or solution from Square, so i thought i raise it up again in hope to maybe put pressure and honor our request to implement it.

We own a kids party venue and part of our operation is to receive payment through Paypal from customers to book and secure a certain date/time for us to host their party. The final balance is then settled at the end of the party. We would LOVE for us to have the option of "deducting" the amount paid manually as a deposit from the final balance, ie: a negative amount deposit.

We currently have set up a negative "Deposit" item under discounts to temporarily patch that process but if we have to give our customer a "real" discount, then our fake discount deposit will be merged with the actual deposit and neither the customer nor us will know how much is which.

We switched from Revel POS to Square because of the simplicity of this system in performing the tasks that we require, yet there are A LOT of very basic stuff which are missing from making it a final perfect product. I honestly can vouch for the other 13 locations that are exactly similar to our concept to switch from Revel to Square as well only after we inform them that this MAJOR needed requirement has been implemented in our POS.

Square tech reps, if you are reading this, please take it SERIOUSLY into consideration. Given my humble background holding an MSc in Computer Information Science, I can comfortably say that this will take no longer than one hour to make. 🙂

Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

@Zaid77

Just out of curiosity- are you or have you used the deposit function from Invoices? Would it be an option to use an integration through jotforms to get your customer information, and send them an invoice for deposit? 

After the event, you can ask them to just pay the balance due if you need to edit, before they leave.

Definitely have heard this request though and we're happy to make sure our teams is aware of the continued need for this type of update. Also wanted to suggest a work around in the case you hadn't tried it yet.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 2 of 10

Any update on this? I also need to be able to create negative priced items.

Message 3 of 10

Nothing as of yet.

I've been requesting this feature since June 2019. I hope it can be granted. It would help everyone if everyone kept on asking about that feature.

Message 4 of 10

Any updates? This would be extremely helpful

Message 5 of 10

I wish.

I had tried about 10+ times calling in and requesting this feature.

I was told that the more people request it, the more likely they would implement it.

Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

They always say that. I’ve been asking for an additional decimal place on item weights for over a year. Similar to this post “it could be done in an hour”, but it never happens. I think the feature request is just a placebo. 

Message 7 of 10

Square, what an interesting platform... I LOVE most of everything they have created except for a few nuances, like if I charged a client X that now is being replaced by Y in a change order, example x= $3.50 and y= -$3.50, that's $0.00 for all intents and purposes, there is ZERO additional cost to the client, but not on a square invoice. Even using the "discount" feature will not allow the zeroed out invoice to be sent for accounting, it gives an error and says invoice must be $1.00 to $50,000.00! Seriously, OTHER digital invoicing platforms do not have this problem. 

Also, you can't transfer money on peer to peer platforms from a Square bank checking account (that doesn't allow checks) even though they let it glitch and send, they will revoke the amount later and blow up your account with the other provider, it's very frustrating because they should be the foremost money exchange platform, (ah, CASHAPP), but they really are not yet, ironically. 

RosaLei Quinting-Androyna
Founder
SMART Plumbing Hawaii
Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

This feature is needed for us as well

Message 9 of 10

Yes. We have same issue. We should be able to return money to customer and not require them to purchase anything else.

We had to covert our POS system from QB's POS system.

Square really does transaction great but sales part and adding of items needs work. 

Message 10 of 10