x

Delete employee and/or resend email to create account?

Is there a way to completely delete an employee, not just deactivate?

Or is there a way to at least resend the invitation to create an account?

The server failed me and now the invitation to employee to create an account linked to the company's is in limbo.  They cannot create one or login but on my side it says waiting for them to login.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hi @thecap, thanks for flagging this! Following up on the issues that you reported:

At this time, there isn't a way to completely delete an employee. Once an employee is deactivated in your dashboard, you can filter to show only active employees and even reactivate them in the future as needed. I'll be sure to share your request with our product liaison team. In addition, you can find more details on Employee Management in our Support Center.

Regarding the invitation issue, I'd recommend that you contact our Support Team directly. From there, we'll be able to take a closer look at account specifics and make sure it gets sorted out ASAP.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. Please don't hesitate to reply here if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 8

Having the ability to delete an employee is huge. Here is one reason:

Lets say that the owner wants to change their duties to be less involved and they want to "trade" positions with another person who is/was an employee, (their state does not matter in this instance). Since that employee record is never deleted, there is NO way to modify any owner record with the other employee. (an error occurs stating: “A record with that email already exists”).

The owner email cannot be modified to an email of a past or present employee.

The Owner name cannot be changed.

This causes issues in the appointments module as well. In the appointments module, oddly, if you delete an employee, (which there you can) ALL client history is also deleted that was associated with that employee account.

This seems counter intuitive. Why would square ever delete client history even if it was tied to an employee? The client is and the history should be tied to the BUSINESS first, and the employee second. Disk space is cheap. NEVER delete history.

So, in the square main module, you can never delete an employee causing problems. In the appointments module, you can delete an employee and loose ALL the client history tied to that deleted employee.

Please look into the consistently issues and walk through the processes to see where the process gaps are. These two are obvious.

If you would ike to be super great, write past employees to the history table too. But at least allow deletion. 

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

@wisstx This is a great example for our Product Team! I'll be sure to send this over to them. 

Message 4 of 8

I have an employee listed who is now out with his own company and needs to use his phone number on his own account. I need him removed so his sales don't come ot my account

Message 5 of 8

Hello again @D1Tman! 

If he is an active under the employee tab you can remove his phone number under his profile. If he isn't active you can reactivate them for the moment. 

If they plan on taking sales for another company they will need to create another Square account or use another email address to be an employee on that companies account. 

If you still have questions please let me know! I would be happy to help out! 

Message 6 of 8

Having the ability to delete an employee is huge. Here is one reason:

Let’s say that the owner wants to change their duties to be less involved and they want to "trade" positions with another person who is/was an employee, (their state does not matter in this instance). Since that employee record is never deleted, there is NO way to modify the owner email field with the other employee. (an error occurs stating: “A record with that email already exists”).

The owner email cannot be modified to an email of a past or present employee.

The Owner name cannot be changed.

This causes issues in the appointments module as well. In the appointments module, oddly, if you delete an employee, (which there you can) ALL client history is also deleted that was associated with that employee account.

This seems counter intuitive. Why would square ever delete client history even if it was tied to an employee? The client is and the history should be tied to the BUSINESS first, and the employee second. Disk space is cheap. NEVER delete history.

So, in the square main module, you can never delete an employee causing problems. In the appointments module, you can delete an employee and loose ALL the client history tied to that deleted employee.

Please look into the consistently issues and walk through the processes to see where the process gaps are. These two are obvious.

The best possible solution is to allow us to delete employees and have Square upgrade their history tables. Practically everything should be written to history. There is no good reason to ever delete history in applications like square or its modules.

Here is a possible solution:

1. Allow employees to be deleted, completely.
  2. Write the employee data to a history table, just make a copy of the employee table and call it employee_history
  3. Allow history to be filtered on certain tables: Past employees, Past appointments, Past food items, Past coupons, etc...
  4. Allow the history to be exported to excel (already able) but with more details, (or all fields)

If there is some reason that you never delete an employee, please share it. But why "never delete an employee" but you do delete other data tied to an employee (again think appointments module).

Message 7 of 8

I agree with these questions... I have mobile staff that can't remember how to login to square. I need to resend them the invitation. and thus the steps for them to take payments on my behalf. Can't believe something so simple ends up so difficult.

HELP!

Message 8 of 8