x

Difference between USB cash drawer and Printer Driven cash drawer?

What is the difference between the USB cash drawer and the printer driven cash drawer?  This would be for the new Square Register system.  And is there an easy way to open the drawer (without having a cash sale) without having to use a key every time?  Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

tl;dr: As long as you have enough USB ports available, you can still use your usb cash drawer if you decide to also add a usb printer at a later date.

Longer version:

If you are using the Square Stand for iPad, you can use both your USB drawer and add a USB printer later on. Both should also work fine in any other setup with enough USB ports. (For instance, using an on-the-go [OTG] USB hub with a compatable Android device.)

The only potential issue I can think of is if you want to use a USB drawer, printer, chip/nfc reader, and barcode scanner all at once with the Square Stand. The stand doesn't have enough ports to handle all four peripherals at once. In such a situation you'd either have to switch to a printer-connected cash drawer, or use a bluetooth barcode scanner, or use bluetooth to connect the chip reader.

The cheapest solution would be to use bluetooth for the chip reader. But then you'd need to plug it in for power somewhere, and you might discover connection issues frustrate the process. (This might not be a problem though. In my experience, the chip reader connection issues have pretty much been fixed by the most recent POS app update.)

Buying a bluetooth barcode scanner would be the most expensive solution. Plus it gives you batteries to worry about. On the plus side, if bluetooth is giving you connection problems my guess is that a glitchy scanner would be less frustrating than a glitchy chip reader, if you have to choose between one of them. And depending on the type of products being scanned and the setup of the sales area, the freedom of having a wireless scanner may be well worth the costs.

But I suggest buying a printer-connected cash drawer might be the best solution to the "not enough USB ports" problem. The printer-connected drawers are only about half the cost of the usb ones, so you'd likely be able to sell off your usb drawer and more than make up for the cost of getting a printer-connected one.

All of this only matters if you run out of USB ports though. If you're using no more than 3 peripherals with the Square Stand for iPad, or your other connectivity setup otherwise has enough USB ports, then you don't need to worry about it. Just plug everything in and the Square software should recognize and deal with everything fine.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller Alumni

With the new register you can use either one.  The difference is the USB drawer doesn't have to be plugged into a printer to function.  So if you don't plan on using a printer this is a good choice.  The printer driven drawer connects to the receipt printer and that is what controls the drawer, it will not open without the correct printer connected to it.  This is great if you are using an ethernet printer.

In the POS software you can go to Menu/Settings/Cash Drawers/Test Cash Drawer to get it to open.  You can also use Cash management to open the drawer and log pay-ins and pay-outs.

Message 2 of 7

If we buy the USB cash drawer and later decide we want to have a receipt printer, what are our options? Would we have to buy the other drawer later? 

THanks in advance.

Message 3 of 7

Best Answer

tl;dr: As long as you have enough USB ports available, you can still use your usb cash drawer if you decide to also add a usb printer at a later date.

Longer version:

If you are using the Square Stand for iPad, you can use both your USB drawer and add a USB printer later on. Both should also work fine in any other setup with enough USB ports. (For instance, using an on-the-go [OTG] USB hub with a compatable Android device.)

The only potential issue I can think of is if you want to use a USB drawer, printer, chip/nfc reader, and barcode scanner all at once with the Square Stand. The stand doesn't have enough ports to handle all four peripherals at once. In such a situation you'd either have to switch to a printer-connected cash drawer, or use a bluetooth barcode scanner, or use bluetooth to connect the chip reader.

The cheapest solution would be to use bluetooth for the chip reader. But then you'd need to plug it in for power somewhere, and you might discover connection issues frustrate the process. (This might not be a problem though. In my experience, the chip reader connection issues have pretty much been fixed by the most recent POS app update.)

Buying a bluetooth barcode scanner would be the most expensive solution. Plus it gives you batteries to worry about. On the plus side, if bluetooth is giving you connection problems my guess is that a glitchy scanner would be less frustrating than a glitchy chip reader, if you have to choose between one of them. And depending on the type of products being scanned and the setup of the sales area, the freedom of having a wireless scanner may be well worth the costs.

But I suggest buying a printer-connected cash drawer might be the best solution to the "not enough USB ports" problem. The printer-connected drawers are only about half the cost of the usb ones, so you'd likely be able to sell off your usb drawer and more than make up for the cost of getting a printer-connected one.

All of this only matters if you run out of USB ports though. If you're using no more than 3 peripherals with the Square Stand for iPad, or your other connectivity setup otherwise has enough USB ports, then you don't need to worry about it. Just plug everything in and the Square software should recognize and deal with everything fine.

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

can i use a cash register with out the square printer? Is my only option to open it with a key? 

Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

You can use square without a printer, though customers will likely want a receipt. I believe if you buy the USB version of the printer with a square stand tee square app should operate the drawer. 

Message 6 of 7
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “cash register with out printer”

Hello @reefco! I've merged your post with this one so you can read a bit more about the differences between a USB cash drawer and Printer Driven cash drawer. 

(Also thank you @VanKalkerFarms!)

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 7