x

Discounts Available For Specific Items Only

I only want discounts available on certain items. For example staff discount is only available on some items and not others.

I have tried setting up a discount for staff and assigned to the items I want but that seems to be for automatic discounts.

I want to choose when to apply those discounts.

Can anyone suggest any solutions.

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

It sounds like you may be looking for the steps to apply a discount at checkout instead of online, @FKM.

Have you tried reading over these steps yet?

Outside of automatic discounts, it is not possible to restrict the items you are able to apply the discount to at checkout.

You would want to train staff to apply certain discounts to certain items if you do not want discounts to automatically apply.

Does this help?

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller Alumni

When you setup your Discount, you should turn on the "Discount Rules" and then select "Apply to Categories or Items".  That way you can only choose the items it should apply to.  Then you can create a code to give to your staff to use at checkout to apply that discount.  

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 2 of 12

Thanks

I've tried looking at it, but I can't see how to create a code for staff to apply at the check out.

Can you help.

Thanks again

Message 3 of 12
Super Seller Alumni

If you do it from the Square Online side of things, the code is the first field at the very top of the page 🙂

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 4 of 12
Alumni

Best Answer

It sounds like you may be looking for the steps to apply a discount at checkout instead of online, @FKM.

Have you tried reading over these steps yet?

Outside of automatic discounts, it is not possible to restrict the items you are able to apply the discount to at checkout.

You would want to train staff to apply certain discounts to certain items if you do not want discounts to automatically apply.

Does this help?

Valentina
Message 5 of 12

Thanks, I've slowly come to the realisation that what we need is impossible. A shame as it seems that Square is almost there, it just needs a little more development.

Message 6 of 12

I finally figured this out by following @Valentina steps above. I am not sure if this is an updated feature but you can tap on an item and apply the discount to certain items leaving others at full price. 

Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

I know when you list your items on your site, you scroll to the item pricing, you can price items separately, in price and on sale or discounted prices.

Nancy McManis
Message 8 of 12

That's what I've ended up doing, adding two different options for the one product. A full price and a discounted price. The only problem with this is that the stock control isn't managed properly, but stock management isn't a huge issue with us. Just a good to have.

Message 9 of 12
Beta Member

I understand. I usually only use this option when I'm having a sale and set it up in marketing, then go and manually put the sale prices in. Good luck.

Nancy McManis
Message 10 of 12

Thank you Alanah.   So how do businesses apply staff discounts?  Like at the end of the day or week if I want to close a staff tab, and apply a discount to alcohol only, how do I do that?

Message 11 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi there again @DeanTropicana - Thanks for your reply!

I've gone ahead and merged your question to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this discount setup.

Please see the answers from @PPOPSGAGA_2 & @FKM to see how they were able to accomplish this setup. I hope this helps!

Violet
Message 12 of 12