x

Do I use a discount or a price variation?

I have one item that I sell at multiple price points depending on if I'm selling to an individual, or a restaurant, or a shop. I would like to track inventory of this item, and anytime it is sold at either price point my inventory is depeleted. 

Option 1: Set up variations of the same item, same sku, but differnt price points. Doesn't seem to be able to deplete one single inventory, but instead I have to keep inventory of each individual price point. Is there a way to have one single inventory count that depletes whenever any price point is sold?

Option 2: Use one single item, and then set up discounts for each different price point. My issue here is that the discount does not seem to show up on my invoices. I see the original price, and then I see the correct price (after discount) in the subtotal, but no description of the discount, or reason shown for the discrepancy. 

Neither option seems to work for me at the moment. What is the best way to proceed? How do others manage this problem?
Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller Alumni

Best way for reporting is to have a variation.  No you can't have one inventory, each one is concidered a different item.  If you have three items and 300 units for example,  I would split the inventory between the three,  This way you never run out.  You will have to monitor this a bit.  If one gets low you can reorder or move from one to the other.  You will soon figure out what one sells more then the other and adjust levels.  If you know a bit about spread sheets you can regularly export your item list and apply a formula to it to give you the total inventory of this items. 

Your discounts should show up in invoices.  You add your discounts as an item.

Message 2 of 2