x

How can I apply a customer credit card to an existing invoice?

How can I apply a customer credit card to an existing invoice? I created an invoice, customer called me with her credit card for me to pay.  There is not an option for me to click 'pay now' unless I cancel and resend to myself. 

I have run into this a lot with corporate clients. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Don't cancel it! Find your invoice, then in the upper right and corner [ Resend ] [ Edit ] [ More ], choose More, then select Share. Now you can get a link to your invoice, copy that link, open a new tab in your browser and settle the invoice with your the credit card info you have. The advantage of doing it this way, is that you preserve the original invoice and after you apply the credit card, you can now paste that same link in an email as a reciept!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Best Answer

Don't cancel it! Find your invoice, then in the upper right and corner [ Resend ] [ Edit ] [ More ], choose More, then select Share. Now you can get a link to your invoice, copy that link, open a new tab in your browser and settle the invoice with your the credit card info you have. The advantage of doing it this way, is that you preserve the original invoice and after you apply the credit card, you can now paste that same link in an email as a reciept!

Message 2 of 8

Thank you! This worked for me! Super

Message 3 of 8
Square

@Gigis - Thanks for the help, and great job! Look forward to seeing more of you in the community. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 8

That works great if i'm at my desk, but how do I do that (apply payment to an invoice) with the mobile app?

I send an invoice before I'm onsite, then take payment while there.

So I create an invoice, take payment, cancle the invoice / make note of the payment later?

Message 5 of 8
Admin

Hey @Caypay, I see what you mean — invoice options are limited within the Register app. I'll be sure to share your experience with our Product Liaison team, who is always working to improve our products based on seller feedback.

In the meantime, I wanted to suggest another possible workaround for using the Register app. When you initially create the invoice, you can add your email address to it under More Options > Additional Email to Cc. After you send the invoice with your email Cc'd, this will allow you to receive a copy of the invoice to your email inbox, where you can access the option to complete the payment yourself. While you would still have to complete the invoice payment from the payment link in the email, this will prevent you from having to cancel anything.

Hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 8

I want to be able to swipe a customer's credit card to pay for an invoice on the spot. How can I do this? For instance, I use invoices to for a large purchase that requires a deposit and will be picked up at a later time. I'd like my customer to be able to pay the invoice in the store, and then pay the balance in the store. As of right now, my customers can only pay the invoices from the email link I send them. 

Message 7 of 8
Square

Hi @carajoy. These are both definitely two popular feature requests. I'd suggest subscribing to these threads for future updates, as we don't currently offer this functionality: How to apply payment to an invoice using the Square POS App? & Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?. Thanks for taking the time to post! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 8 of 8