x

How can I automatically apply a discount to specific items?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Running a sale on specific items not possible?]

So the holidays are upon us and it seems that the only way I can have a sale in my store is to apply a % off at the register. If I wish to have different items on sale at different percentages, I will need to remember to manually apply the discount to each item as I ring up each customer. If I wish to sell an item at a specific sale price it looks like my only option is to change the regular selling price for each sale item. The sales slip will not reflect the regular price with the new price will not be identified as a SALE price. Please correct me if I am wrong. I've been using Square for 4 years now and am mostly pleased but this really needs to be addressed. Please add the ability to have a sale price and don't forget to allow us to set a date range that this price is in effect. One input box with SALE PRICE, one input for START DATE and one for END DATE. I would also add a toggle button for on/off in case someone simply wants to turn the sale on/off manually instead of defining a start/end date. Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @DragonStar!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

From discounts in the Online Dashboard you should be able to create a discount, choose a time frame, and then make sure it is only applied automatically to specific items in the cart. I believe this is what you're asking for. That way you can add individual items to the cart, and if they have different discounts, the discounts will only be automatically applied to the specific item rather than the entire cart. 

For more information take a look at this Community post where a seller had a similar question. I hope this information is helpful. If I'm not answering your question, please let me know so I can look into this further. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @DragonStar!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

From discounts in the Online Dashboard you should be able to create a discount, choose a time frame, and then make sure it is only applied automatically to specific items in the cart. I believe this is what you're asking for. That way you can add individual items to the cart, and if they have different discounts, the discounts will only be automatically applied to the specific item rather than the entire cart. 

For more information take a look at this Community post where a seller had a similar question. I hope this information is helpful. If I'm not answering your question, please let me know so I can look into this further. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 10

Thanks so much! I didn't realize that I could do a dollar amount and program a date range. You learn something new every day!

Message 3 of 10

I have tried this a thousand times and i can not get my discounts to apply please help

Message 4 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @CopperKween,

Can you let us know what you've tried already?

It looks like @isabelle listed some step-by-step instructions above. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 10

i have tried adding a discount from my pc and mobile device and it just will not work. Im really frustrated. I need help 

Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

I'm looking for a way to automatically apply a sale price to an item, that would still show them the original price.  I have a clearance rack and every item has it's own sale price based on what wholesale cost of that item.  I want to be able to go to my item inventory and apply a sale price to an individual item, like how you can in Weebly for the online store.  

Message 7 of 10
Alumni

Hey there @southerne -

Sure can! Check out my friend @Isabelle__'s post on this thread I moved you to - she outlines step-by-step instructions on how to set up auto discounts to specific items. 

I hope this helps!

Justin
Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

No.  That doesn't really answer my question.  I know how to apply sales prices that way.  But to do it that way, I would have to create a new sale for every single item I moved from the regular racks over to our clearance rack, then apply it to that specific item.  Because it may be that one shirt was normally $40 and I clearance it to $20, but it may be that a shirt was $40 and I clearance it down to $30.  It depends on several factors for what the sale price will be.  

What I want is a way to go into the item library and click on the item and beside the regular price, put in a new sale price.  Because now that it moved to the clearance rack, it will be that new price until it sells. 

Message 9 of 10
Alumni

@southerne

Ah, thanks for the clarification and sorry this thread didn't help 😖.  I see what you're wanting and unfortunately this feature is not available with Square. 

Thanks for describing in detail what you're looking to do. This helps our Product Team make improvements specific to your needs. I'll loop them in the mix so they can track the need for this feature request. 

We'll keep you posted when we hear any updates! 

Justin
Message 10 of 10