x

How can I find out the details of what non-taxable sales are appearing in my monthly report?

I am a new user and looking for a report at the end of each month to know how much sales tax I have to pay.  I found a report, but now I find an amount of non-taxable sales and now I need to know what they are as all items should be taxed.

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Your Tax Report in your Square Dashboard will display both your taxed and not taxed items. 

You can also select the specific date range that you are looking for by clicking the date-selector at the top-left of the page (click the middle of the date-selector to see a full calendar view). Once a calendar appears, hit the first date of the custom range and then click the end date. The date range you select will be colored blue and the date range will be shown above.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Square

Best Answer

Your Tax Report in your Square Dashboard will display both your taxed and not taxed items. 

You can also select the specific date range that you are looking for by clicking the date-selector at the top-left of the page (click the middle of the date-selector to see a full calendar view). Once a calendar appears, hit the first date of the custom range and then click the end date. The date range you select will be colored blue and the date range will be shown above.

Message 2 of 27

I'm sorry, but this does not answer the question and is therefore, not the best answer.  Having detail of non-taxable sales, is a very basic request.  ie: sales to non-profits or sales outside the area, services, etc

When processing sales tax reports, non-taxable sales need to be detailed on a sales tax return.  Is there anyway to find this detail for a date range?

Message 3 of 27

Hello, 

Were you able to figure this out?  I need to file our sales tax and also have non-taxable items, but the only thing that is not taxed is water and we have not sold the amount it is showing.  Did you find a way to see what items are non-taxable?  Thanks!!

Message 4 of 27
Square Community Moderator

@txicecreamgirl The most common reason for discrepancies with Taxable and Non-Taxable sales would be "Custom Amount" charges (entering an amount to charge rather than adding an item to the sale) and also selling items without sales tax applied. 

Your Item Sales report in your Square Dashboard can help breakdown how many of each item was sold, as well as how many of those item sales had tax included. 

Here's a screenshot for reference:

Message 5 of 27

Thank you.  This helped to solve some of the mystery.  I am still not sure why so many items are showing up with an "N" when I export the setup into Excel - apparently, the "N" in the "L" column means that NO sales tax is applied to that item, is that correct? On the app and on my dashboard, the tax is turned on.  Do you know why this is??

Message 6 of 27
Square Community Moderator

@txicecreamgirl you should only have values in the tax column. In regards to why the discrepancies happen, the tax can be turned off by accident within the app as well as on a per-transaction basis. 

This could lead to accidentally removing the tax before the sale. 

Message 7 of 27

Hello! Do you report ALL cc transactions or just the taxable transactions? For instance, I have taxable and non-taxable cc transactions, and I am trying to figure out if both will be reported or just the transactions that were taxable! I just want to make sure I’m paying my taxes correctly! And yes I know for this year it will be over the 20k! Thank you! 

Message 8 of 27
Admin

Hey @JennaGS, thanks for checking in.

Generally speaking, the 1099-K will include all credit card transactions for the calendar year. You may want to work with a tax professional for specifics on how to proceed with properly filing and making payment. Square isn't able to offer tax advice.

For more information on 1099-K qualifications, have a look here: Square Tax Reporting and Form 1099-K Overview.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction! 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 27

Being in NY, we have 3 tax rates in both of our stores.  Apparel, food (non-tax) and general merchandise.

I'm trying to do my quarterly sales tax and the numbers on my Square report do not match.  It shows "non-taxable sales" at the top which has a completely different number below it in the line items.

Why don't these match up?  You can see what I mean here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mLfpLSGEKNj11xu49

Message 10 of 27
Admin

@Vaerlie14432 I've moved your post to this thread where other sellers asked the same question. As EJ mentions in this post, if you go to the Item Sales report you'll be able to see a breakdown of items that were sold with or without tax or if a custom amount was entered. 

I hope this helps. I'm not able to view your reports, but if you'd like you can call our CS team and they'd be happy take a look with you.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 11 of 27

I am also trying to find out WHAT items make up my non-taxable sales (so I can correct if they're wrong).  I'm looking through the ITEM SALES REPORT and don't see where it breaks out items that were not taxed...

Message 12 of 27

Hello @TwinStar

The way you can check is by exporting your Transaction Report for the same time frame as the Tax Report. This will let you look at each individual transaction and the taxes applied. 🙂

Message 13 of 27

Hi,

I don´t know if you solved this but I came to the same problem recently and after expending some time on it finally I could find the problem in my case. 

I´m sharing this in case someone has the same situation

At our shops in Japan everything is taxed so when I found some non-taxable stuff on the tax report it was so strange for us.  I tried different things in excel and scenarios to try to find out what happen but without any luck. Finally I downloaded the transactions log of a particular day and sorted by the tax column in excel.

Eliminated any returns and look for products that have a 0 (zero) tax but with a normal sell.  Checked the URL of the transaction and looked on square about it. 

Then I found the problem. The staff by mistake turned off the tax of some sales. So that means we sold some items without charging the proper tax. It was difficult to find out because in one sale we had like 8 items and only 1 of them has this problem. I suggest to try to replicate the problem so you can understand what happen.

I hope this give some light to anyone that comes with this problem because square doesn't give you any report about the non-taxable sales. 

Message 14 of 27

Helen, I am also trying to figure out the taxable vs untaxable. Am I reading correctly that when it is a CUSTOM AMOUNT tax is not added? even if the tax button is "on" ?? or is it our fees that were taken out of the purchase that would not be taxed?

As I think about this more, I now understand why my personal items would be some taxed and some not. At some shows I included tax in my price in order not to deal with handling coins for change. I back the tax out of my sale price to report. Does that make sense. 

Anyway my big question and experience is that using a custom amount does and will add the tax if the button is set to do so. I use custom amount 90% of the time. I appreciate your time and reply.

Thank you, Julie

WORK IN CLAY

Message 15 of 27
Admin

Hey @Clay1!

You can set it up so that taxes are applied to custom amounts. We give you the option. 

I do not believe that we automatically apply taxes to custom amounts when you create a Square account though, so I think it's something you'll have to check manually:

Is that what you were asking?

Let me know! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 16 of 27

Thanks for your reply. I was referring to the earlier part of the feed somebody was saying that custom amounts do not get taxed. But they do. What I am asking is, something would only be filed as non-taxable if we had the tax button turned off. Is that correct? I have another comment but I'll wait till I get your answer about this one thank you

Message 17 of 27
Admin

If I understand your question correctly, the tax will only be applied to items that you select to be applied to. The tax will not be auto applied. 

Non-taxable items can be unchecked when you select the 'Apply To Items' button to the right of the tax created in the Square Dashboard. 

Is that what you mean? Apologies for any misunderstanding @Clay1

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 18 of 27

Thanks Isabelle yes we're both saying the same thing I understand. Next question I wonder about the fees that are taken out. They have been taxed.

Sorry if I'm getting too technical but I don't normally work with such a sharp pencil it just got me thinking, LOL

Message 19 of 27
Admin

No worries @Clay1!

When you take a payment, Square’s fees are deducted at that time from the total amount of the sale, including tax and tip.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 20 of 27
Beta Member

Hi, I have the same question here as several others. My tax report shows more than one thousand dollars in non-taxable sales in the last quarter, but when I do an export of item sales, I can only find a few items - just about $100 - that were sold without tax.  One thing I'm wondering is whether the amount taken off for discounts and comps shows up in non-taxable sales?  Otherwise I cannot figure out the discrepency, because my items report shows that nearly all of my items (except for a few tax-exempt ones) had tax applied.  Thank you! 

Message 21 of 27