x
Super Seller Alumni

How can I fix / reverse a paid invoice

I have a customer that was paying a large invoice in two equal payments. I listed the invoice as $5000 and then a "discount" of 50% because they were paying half. Once the half was paid the entire about of $5k showed up in my sales. Which is not correct, since i did not take in the $5k at that time, I took in $2500. Now they have paid the second invoice for the remaining 50% and my sales are showing double the amount - that I made $10k. 

Is there a way to reverse the invoices and show the proper amount paid? Do I just need to "refund" the invoices and input them again?

I am afraid if I refund it in the sqaure system it will send a refund notice to my customer and confuse them....trying to avoid that! It's my accounting fault and I don't need them to see that. They are paid in full.

thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Yelibelly

While your Gross Sales amount is not adjusted for refunds or discounts, your Net Sales should reflect the correct amount. 

As far a the transaction itself, while you only received $2500, the actual payment was rung up for $5000. 

A discount doesn't change the amount of an invoice or the price of an item, but rather, changes the amount due for the sale. 

Does that make sense?

In order for this to appear correctly. you'll need to issue two separate invoices of $2500 each and have them paid separately. 

Message 2 of 2