x

How can I get customer information for transactions?

We're a non-profit that threw an event this Saturday and we used Square to collect donations. To my horror, no customer information  was stored on any of the transactions made that day. Last year I was able to at least get first name and last initial on most transactions and match them to our guest list, but this year we don't even have that. I've already called Square twice about this and it doesn't look like they can do anything about getting us that information. What have other organizations done in this situation? Did you have to call each individual credit card company to try and piece this together? This is extremely important for getting donors their tax-deductible receipts. We probably will not use Square again because of this. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hi @amref, thanks for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear about the trouble with your event.

In most cases, we are able to display the name on the card if the payment was dipped or swiped using the latest reader. To view which payments include customer information, head over to your Transactions tab > select appropriate date range > click on the payment to view details > the name, if we're able to include it, will show up next to the last four digits of the card.

For more information, have a look at this section of our Support Center: Viewing Customer Information.

Hopefully, you're able to access the names or payment details from your Transactions tab that will allow you to sort this out. Again, I apologize for the confusion and I'll be sure to share your experience with our Product Liaison team — we're constantly working to improve the app based on our customer's feedback.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 2