x

How can I use Square to accept donations?

We are a non profit school and want to take donations online via square.  Is that possible?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Is there a way to use square for donations?

Message 1 of 20
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi there @njifnuser - and welcome to the Seller Community 👋

To clear things up a tad more, here are your options for accepting donations:

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Super Seller

Message 2 of 20

I would like to set up a link and or eventually a button to accept donations for our non profit senior center through our square account.  I was trying to follow the directions offered through help; however, there is no option of a donation "type" and all the lovely directions described.   How do I set up my account to take non taxable donations? Do I just need to create an item and add modifiers?  How do I create a link to add to social media?  How do I add to my weebly website?

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback and assistance!  🙂

Vernredgac

THIS DOESN'T EXIST.  THERE IS NO ADD ITEM.  YOU GET CREATE ITEM AND NOTHING ELSE THAT MATCHES THE HELP DESCRIPTION. Create a Donation Item

From your Square Online Overview page, go to Items > Item Library and click Add Item. Choose Donation from the Item Type menu, then add a title, description, and a photo if you like.

Tip: Use the item description field to provide additional information for potential donors.

Message 3 of 20
Super Seller

Hi @vernredgac  FIrst thing is first, lets get the link set up for donations.

To start from the Square Dashboard, Scroll down the left side to "online checkout".  From there you  will be able to then click on donations and set up your donations link with the information needed to created your link.

Once the link is created, it will give you a few different options to choose from, such as a Direct Link, Social Media button and a code for your website to place the link to.

Lastly, here is an article that should have all the info you need donation based orginaztions.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 4 of 20

The reason these instructions do not work is that--if someone is using a Weebly/Square combined site, and you attempt to create a donation link or button following these steps, as soon as you click "create link" or "create button" you get an error message telling you that your email is associated with a Weebly site which you need to log into. And the darn thing is, you're already logged into your Weebly site, because its log in takes you to the same dashboard as your Square log in. There is no apparent work-around for this glitch.

Message 5 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and sorry about the frustrating experience, @aacca! When you have a moment, please reach out to our support team here squ.re/contact, so we can file a ticket with engineering. 

Message 6 of 20

I have the same problem, so I see the engineering department has not fixed this issue.  

Message 7 of 20

Hello @MHSTBB and Welcome to the Seller Community 

At this time these types of issues are resolved on a case-by-case basis. Our eCommerce Support team would be able to look into this with you! When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here or calling 855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. If you call outside of these hours, you will be required to enter your Customer Code to validate your account.

JJ
Message 8 of 20

Hi! Thank you for your question-I had the same problem! Here is how I solved it:

• On the Square dashboard on a computer, find the home page
  • In the left-handed menu, click Online
  • THEN click Items on the left-handed menu
  • Click Site Items
  • Add New Item (right blue button)
  • Item Type: Donation

I hope this helps!

Message 9 of 20

How can you do this on the app? We sell books but also want a way of accepting donations.  The only info I am able to find is you can only do donations via the "online" store not the app or point of sale app.

Message 10 of 20
Alumni

The answers within this thread should help if you would like to set up this item in your Item Library, @Vstiff.

You can also use QR codes at your in-person checkout counter if you would like to set up a donation item that way.

Valentina
Message 11 of 20

Using YOUR post I was able to create the donation item but I can't find a way to get a link to the item so I can use a QR code to take users directly to that item. How frustrating. Square support is the absolute worst. I get more frustrated and waste more time trying to figure things out. I think I would be better off paying more just to have someone to talk to on the phone and move on with my life. Their support documents are so out of date it should be embarassaing. For the amount they take from my transactions I should have acess to a much higher level of support. 

Message 12 of 20

Hi @OvernightLaundr,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you've had trouble setting up QR codes. You can create a QR code for a donation checkout link with these steps:

1. Log in to your online Square Dashboard, and head to Online Checkout to create a checkout link . 

2. Select the purpose for your checkout link e.g Accept a donation, or Sell an item. 

3. Once you've created the checkout link,you can share your link via QR code by selecting Create under the QR code option.

4. Next, click download QR Code to your device to print the code. 

I hope this helps, please let us know how you go!

Message 13 of 20

Yay BIRMANNIC!

Message 14 of 20

I have tried to create a donation item in the following ways and none of them work:

1)Items -> Item Library ->Create an Item - no option to select "Item Type" like the documentation states.

2)Online -> Items ->Site items - Links to a blank Weebly page - nothing resolves.

3)Online ->Website ->Edit Site ->Donation ->Create a donation - I can fill out the form but when I click "save" nothing happens.  If I click "More Options" a blank overlay window pops up.

The title of this post has been edited from the original:  BUG REPORT - Can't create a donation item

Message 15 of 20
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi there @njifnuser - and welcome to the Seller Community 👋

To clear things up a tad more, here are your options for accepting donations:

Valentina
Message 16 of 20

how do I set up a monthly reoccurring donation, to be automatically deducted from their account?

Message 17 of 20

No one ever replies to this question, so I am guessing it is not possible.  I keep searching with the same question.

Message 18 of 20

You can set up recurring donations via a Subscription link via this guide. When creating a link, select Accept a Donation and scroll to Advanced Settings to toggle on Accept recurring donations @aacca @TheRealDavidM @rhnorris

Please let us know how you go!

Message 19 of 20

The only solution that I found for our organization was to set up specific donation amounts. There does not appear to be a way to let donors choose any donation amount they want. So, on our site, people may either buy a subscription to our concert series, and/or make a contribution is pre-specified amounts. I think I have $25, $50, $75, and $100 donations which can be selected as if they were items.

Message 20 of 20