x
Beta Member

How do I Exclude an item(s) in a Square Marketing Campaign?

Hi, I see when creating a saquare marketing promotion/campaign, I can make it for a specific product, but is there a way to create the coupon code so that it automatically EXCLUDES a specific item or items?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Hello @Dimplesshop! There isn't a way to choose a specific item to exclude but I understand how that would be useful.

In the meantime, you could try adding multiple categories to a coupon. That way you could add every category, except the one that includes this specific item (or items) you want to exclude.

To do this from a campaign, when editing Coupon Settings select that the coupon should be applied to Categories > click Add Additional Category and choose the categories that the coupon can be redeemed against.

I know this might not be an efficient workaround if you have a lot of categories but I hope it is helpful! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 16
Beta Member

Sorry for the late response. Unfortunately, we have many categories so doing this just proved to be a task and a half. Additionally it names the discount after the first item you are including. I know that many retailers would want to create a promotiom for a specific item, but in the reverse sometimes you want to run a promotion for your store but need to exclude an item that is already reduced, etc...

Any help in getting this done would be great!

Message 3 of 16
Admin

Hey @Dimplesshop, thanks for circling back.

I see what you mean—appreciate you taking the time to take a look. I don't have any other suggestions as a workaround on hand right now, but I'll be sure to surface your experience with our Email Marketing Team. We'll be in touch with any other developments that may be useful.

Thank you for your patience as we make iterations based on seller feedback, and please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 16
Beta Member

Just curious if this request is even on some sort of road map?

Message 5 of 16
Alumni

Hi @Dimplesshop - No news to share at this time, but our Email Marketing team has been tracking feedback.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 6 of 16
Beta Member

Does anyone have any work arounds? With so many items I cannot sit here including everything except the one item I want to exclude...

Message 7 of 16
Admin

Really sorry for the frustration, @Dimplesshop. I went to check for updates on this and there aren't any developments that I can access right now. If any other sellers have a process that's worked well, feel free to weigh in!

We'll circle back with any other details as they become available.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 8 of 16
Beta Member

I assume this is still an issue?

Message 9 of 16
Beta Member

While you wait for a fix, here's my 2 cents.  @Dimplesshop could you just put in the text a broad disclaimer?  Something like "some categories excluded  from this offer"  My offers have been for a certain category but I put in the text "good for X only" or something of that nature.  Even a "some restrictions may apply".

@Helen what about an exclude checkbox?  Same concept for for Dimplesshop it sounds like it'd be easier to exclude categories than include.  Just a thought.

Message 10 of 16
Admin

@Dimplesshop This feature request is still in the works. @cmusicshop The "exclude drop down" is a great idea! We'll share this feedback with our Product Team. 

Appreciate your continued patience!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 11 of 16
Beta Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread!

We sent out a newsletter on Thursday applying a 15% discount to all categories except for 3 seasonal ones (essentially using the work around described here by @Helen). However, we are finding this weekend as customers try to apply the discount that the 15% is is only applying to one line item instead of their entire order (minus the items in the seasonal category). 

Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks.

Message 12 of 16
Admin

Not a problem at all, @GardenSeventeen!

That is the expected behavior for category-specific coupons - it's essentially the same as an item coupon in behavior except you can make it apply to any item in a category instead specifying each item individually. If a customer added two items from a category then it should apply the discount to each item from that category, but not to any items that are not in the category. The "all orders" option would do what you need, but then it would apply to any order and not be limited just to items in a specific category.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 13 of 16
Beta Member

Hey @AdamB,

Im a tad confused and maybe I didn't explain clearly. The coupon was only applying to one item. Always the last item. Even if it was 3 items from the same category, it was only applying to one of the three. 

So is it expected behavior to only apply to one line item in a selected category(ies), or should it apply to all line items in selected category(ies).

We spent the weekend manually applying 15% discounts to line items manually as each time the coupon was redeemed it only applied to the last item.

Message 14 of 16
Admin

Ok, I see what you mean - that doesn't sound like it's working the way that I understand those coupons are supposed to work. I would contact our support team and see what they say; if it's not working correctly they'll be able to send it up to our engineers for investigation.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 15 of 16

Maybe because you applied it to a "category" vice "items"?  If you purchase something or multiple things in that "category", you get the $ discount once.  Just guessing.  I'm in the same boat.  I want it to apply to everything except one item and there isn't any way to do that.

Message 16 of 16