x

How do I add variations to exisiting items in bulk?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Importing items/variations

How do I input new items without the current items being re-input, thus adding variations to them?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @countrylife, welcome to the seller community!

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you want to keep all of your items the same, but add variations to them — is that correct? If this is the case, you can use our bulk import tool. You can select the "Modify Item Library" option to update existing items. For step-by-steps on how to do this from your online Square Dashboard, have a look here: Upload Your Item Library.

If I'm missing the mark or if anything else comes up, please don't hesitate to reply here and we'll have another look. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 6

Actually, I'm wanting to import new items using excel without adding variations to items that are already imported 

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Thanks for circling back. It sounds like you're on track — as long as you're using our template and you don't add additional values in the variation columns as you input items, you'll be able to go forward with the bulk import tool. Please let me know if you're encountering any error message, or if you'd like to have someone take a closer look at a specific item — get in touch with our Support Team.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 6

I am having this issue as well. I have previously been importing bulk inventory from excel without any issues.

Recently, when importing a new and current inventory catelog, items are receiving addional variants (even though the items should not have any). So each item (with a specific, unique SKU) are now receiving additional variations of the exact same SKU. 

i.e At checkout, when the SKU is scanned for a widget for $2.99, a box pops up showing the various variants available for the widget. All of the multiple options say 'Regular $2.99.'  

What is happening when i import my inventory catelog that updates each previous item to have a variant of itself?

Please help! Thanks!

Message 5 of 6

That's really weird @DFinds

This sounds like a possible bug when uploading your CSV file, since each import option shouldn't create an additional variation. 

I recommend reaching out to our Customer Success Team when you get a chance. They'll be able to take a closer look at this.🙂

Message 6 of 6