x

How do I set up recurring payments or installments from my website?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Recurring payments and setup with website.

I'd like to have customers go to my website, choose and item they want to purchase and whether they'd like to pay in installments.  How do I integrate this to the square site?

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

You have a couple of options for installment payments for your customers.

The newest way is perhaps the easiest way for you to manage, but I don't know a lot about it. Square now offers Installments via their Capital program. Check out their Installments FAQ page for more information. This is a really new program, so you'll have to get it turned on for your account. There are instructions on how to do that on the FAQ page.

Or you can set up Recurring Invoices for the payments. The steps below assume you're using Square's online store environment for the initial purchase. If you're using a third-party website, make sure you have a way to get the customer's email address from the order.

• Have the price of your item on the online store be the price of one of the installment payments at least.
  • Once the customer has completed the purchase, send them a welcome email that explains the following: They ordered an item that is to be paid in installments. You are going to use their email to send them an invoice that has a spot for them to enter and save their credit card information. You will charge $xxx monthly for xx months.
  • Go into your dashboard (or Point of Sale) and create a recurring invoice. Set the payment arrangement just as you said in the email and send to the customer.

As long as the customer holds up their end of the deal, your payments will automatically be sent to you on the schedule you choose.

Please note that the Recurring Invoice trick does leave you open to problems since you're relying on them to fulfill their end of the deal for that first payment, but if you know your customer it usually works out fine in the end.

More info about Recurring Invoices.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

Best Answer

You have a couple of options for installment payments for your customers.

The newest way is perhaps the easiest way for you to manage, but I don't know a lot about it. Square now offers Installments via their Capital program. Check out their Installments FAQ page for more information. This is a really new program, so you'll have to get it turned on for your account. There are instructions on how to do that on the FAQ page.

Or you can set up Recurring Invoices for the payments. The steps below assume you're using Square's online store environment for the initial purchase. If you're using a third-party website, make sure you have a way to get the customer's email address from the order.

• Have the price of your item on the online store be the price of one of the installment payments at least.
  • Once the customer has completed the purchase, send them a welcome email that explains the following: They ordered an item that is to be paid in installments. You are going to use their email to send them an invoice that has a spot for them to enter and save their credit card information. You will charge $xxx monthly for xx months.
  • Go into your dashboard (or Point of Sale) and create a recurring invoice. Set the payment arrangement just as you said in the email and send to the customer.

As long as the customer holds up their end of the deal, your payments will automatically be sent to you on the schedule you choose.

Please note that the Recurring Invoice trick does leave you open to problems since you're relying on them to fulfill their end of the deal for that first payment, but if you know your customer it usually works out fine in the end.

More info about Recurring Invoices.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 12

What requirements must I fulfill so that my business will be allowed to offer customer installments?

Message 3 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @glenawil! Good to hear from you again. Thanks for taking the time to post here on the Seller Community. So happy to have you!

I've gone ahead and merged your question with a thread of Sellers who are asking similar inquiries. I would recommend looking at this best answer from @ryanwanner - I think it will be helpful in getting this resolved for you.

I hope this is helpful! Let us know if you have any follow up questions. We are here to help! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 12

I would like to set up recurring automatic payments for my customers using the recurring invoice function. Do my customers get a digital receipt each time their card is charged? How would I set that up?

Message 5 of 12
Admin

Hello @uproar- Yes! Your customers will receive an email once the recurring invoice has been paid. No need to set up the receipts from your end. Whichever email address is put into their Customer Profile while setting up the recurring series, that will be the email address where they'll receive their receipt.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 12

Are there any options for my customers to pay in installments for purchases?

A lot of other websites are offering Options such as Klarna, Afterpay , or Affirm. I would like to stay competitive and offer these options as a Boutique owner. 

Message 7 of 12

A lot of other websites are offering Options such as Klarna, Afterpay , or Affirm. I would like to stay competitive and offer these options as a Boutique owner. 

Message 8 of 12

log into stripe. I saw the option there but im here trying to figure out how to actually apply it to my store. they offer klarna

Message 9 of 12

Hello ! Did you ever figure out ?

Message 10 of 12

Hey there @kkllc07  👋

At this time we don't have any updates yet on integrating installments in Square Online. You might want to consider @ryanwnner's answer as a workaround while our product team comes up with a solution.

JJ
Message 11 of 12

Hi @Mira2! You can do this with Square Invoices by setting up multiple payments, but since you're referring to your website, I've merged your post to another where @ryanwanner helps to answer your questions. 

Have a nice day! 🙂

AshleyK
Message 12 of 12