x

How do I use the gift card if the customer lost the card and we don't have the full card number?

How do I use/credit the gift card against a transaction if the customer lost the card and we don't have the full card number?

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello and thanks for your posts @riavida and @Ron!

@riavida If you need to have access to full gift card numbers please contact us. Our Support team can help you export a spreadsheet with this information! 

Please also note, as @Ron indicated, you'll need to have some more information about the gift card in question to 'match' it to your customer.

For example, you could ask your customer to tell you information about a transaction made with this gift card or to confirm the date the gift card was issued. When you confirm which gift card is theirs, you can clear the original card's balance and issue them a new gift card! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Super Seller Alumni

Not sure I would even try to let a customer use a Gift Card if they said they lost it. Almost like saying they lost their change from your last sale with them and they want you to give it to them again. 

Message 2 of 18
Admin

Best Answer

Hello and thanks for your posts @riavida and @Ron!

@riavida If you need to have access to full gift card numbers please contact us. Our Support team can help you export a spreadsheet with this information! 

Please also note, as @Ron indicated, you'll need to have some more information about the gift card in question to 'match' it to your customer.

For example, you could ask your customer to tell you information about a transaction made with this gift card or to confirm the date the gift card was issued. When you confirm which gift card is theirs, you can clear the original card's balance and issue them a new gift card! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 18

I tried to ask for an export spreadsheet of the full numbers for egift certificates and was told I can only receive that info if I were leaving square for another processor. square egift chat.png

Message 4 of 18

Hi, 

Currious, If a customer lost the card and comes in the store. We found it under transactions, cleared the balance, gave them that amount as "credit" in store for their purchase.... 

We as the business are still receiving those funds correct? 

Clearing the balance of the gift card does NOT refund the customers CC correct? 

Thanks!

Robert

Message 5 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @AplineSeaCo - 

Yes, you've already received those funds whenever the gift card was initially purchased. Clearing the balance and issuing the customer a credit will not affect that original transaction,

Thank you! 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 18

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:  Lost Gift Card Number Recovery

We've had a few instances when custoimers have lost or miplaced their gift cards. We have been able to find the gift card on the dashboard, but only the last four numbers are visible and we are not able to charge the card for the remaining balance. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Message 7 of 18

If the gift card was purchased under the customer name, then try to add the customer to the sale. The gift card should be saved to their "card on file" you can just charge them using card on file. Otherwise you'll need to find the transaction and if it was purchased recently, you can issue a refund.

Message 8 of 18
Admin

Hello @fpbc! If you need the full gift card number take a look at the steps I shared in this thread to contact our Customer Success team - they can help!

Thanks for the tip @Carrx, I can see how having saved the gift card on file would help as a back up! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 18
Beta Member

Hi,

We issued about 100 plastic gift cards to customers as part of a pay it forward campaign we ran.

Mostly this has worked well.

However, one of our customers lost their card before they used it.

I have a record of the last 4 digits of their card.

I would like to disable/remove credit on this card and then I will issue them a new one.

The only problem is I cannot find the card anywhere in the Square dashboard?

The card has never been used so their is no record in transactions.

When I added credit to the card, it was done via a comp transaction (customer had given us payment via another means), so again, no transaction.

I have opened a support request but they do not seem to be able to help.

Thanks

D

Message 10 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Dirky - Thanks for reaching out! 

I merged your post with a thread containing the best answer to your question from Helen and explains how to locate a gift card. If you're still having issues with this, please continue to work with our Support Team in order to troubleshoot this issue.

I hope this information is helpful but please let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! 😊

Violet
Message 11 of 18

I have a customer who has used the gift card once 2 weeks ago but can not find it. We are able to find the transaction purchase and view the most recent purchase as well as see remaining balance. How Do I transfer the remaining balance to a new gift card and delete this one they lost?

Message 12 of 18
Admin

Hey @Redeemedcoffee!

Welcome to the Seller Community 

We don't have a way to transfer gift card balances, unless you're migrating gift cards from one Square account to another.

You can export all of your existing Square Gift Card information to a spreadsheet right from your online Square Dashboard. Then, you can use our Card on File feature so that when the customer comes in, you will have added their gift card on file to be used until the balance is completely gone.

First step you'll need to do is give our Support Team a call. They can then enable your ability to export your full Gift Card pans. Once our Support Team has provided you with this permission, you'll be able to export your Gift Card information to be added to their customer profile as their card on file:

1. Navigate to the Reports tab of your online Square Dashboard and select Gift Cards.
  2. Select the Export button in the upper right hand corner and choose Gift Card Numbers CSV.
  3. A CSV file will automatically download onto your computer. Keep in mind that this file will contain full gift card numbers and their corresponding balances so you will want to handle this information sensitively.

Let me know if you have any questions about this! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 13 of 18

I tried to follow the steps to export the file. In the CSV file, the gift card token number is longer than 16 characters. How do i enter the number in the Square app?

Message 14 of 18
Alumni

Hmm, gift cards should only be 16 digits, Maybe there's a number formatting issue on your spreadsheet. Reach out to CS so they can confirm. 

@Calming_Touch

Justin
Message 15 of 18

I tried to ask for an option to export a spreadsheet of the full numbers for egift certificates and was told I can only receive that info if I were leaving square for another processor.  I am a solo practitioner and run into this issue all of the time where clients show up without their printed ecard and then take all of time I need to clean in-between clients looking for their email. 

Message 16 of 18
Super Seller

I just called support to request this permission so I could download the spread sheet and the lady literally didn't know what I was talking about.  Is there someone else I can be put in contact with that knows how to do this.  Thanks...

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 17 of 18
Beta Member

If you can locate the card sale in your transactions and are 100% sure it belongs to this customer you can clear the balance of the card and issue them a new one using either discounts to negate the price, or "other" as a payment type. I personally tell people when they purchase a physical gift card they must have the card to redeem the value and inform them we have egift cards which are much harder to lose.

Message 18 of 18