x

How do we checkout under a category on POS on an iPhone?

Our girl scout troop sells cookies through the square app. how do we checkout under a category on an iPhone

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Admin

Hello and welcome to the Seller Community @gstroop208!

There isn't a way to check out using a category at this time. To checkout you'll need to create an item (or items), and you can then assign items to your category. For example, your category could be 'Cookies' and you could create an item for each type of cookie flavor. It depends on how granular you need your sales reporting to be!

If you don't need to track sales by category or item, you can also checkout quickly by entering a custom amount.

Let me know if you have any other questions about using Square with your troop! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 22

It would simplify checkout immensely if I could select a category at that stage as I’m tracking POS orders to be fulfilled later by fulfillment department and need “granular” reporting by order. Or is there another way to do this?

Message 3 of 22

To clarify: by at that stage I mean at Checkout. And “by order” I mean I want to track each item in an order. 

There are too many items on the checkout screen. I’d love to sort by category. 

I have services and two product lines so far that are create a senseless morass of items on my checkout page. Square, can you help?

Message 4 of 22
Admin

Hey @ArielBlu, thanks for checking in here.

What kind of device are you using for your orders? I think I know of an option that may help—if you're set up with a tablet, you might find the grid feature to be useful for streamlining the checkout process. To learn how you can set it up to organize your most frequently sold categories and items, have a look here: Set Up Your Item Grid on a Tablet.

Does this help get you where you need to be? If I'm missing the mark, please don't hesitate to reply with a bit more info—happy to run this by a few other team members for a closer look. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 22

As has been mentioned, on iPhone, it would greatly enhance the checkout experience if there was a top level of hierarchy that let you drill down in to each of your categories (including an All Items category). The single, long list of items we have now is unmanageable, especially in busy and chaotic sales environments. 

Message 6 of 22
Alumni

@triddylee - Thanks for taking time to explain how this feature will make life easier for your - helps us a lot when making improvements tailored to our Sellers' needs. 

I'll be sure to bubble this up! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 22

this is the same thing I’ve been wondering!  My friend is able to check out under categories enabling her to bypass the long list and more easily find the item purchased.  In her checkout she has a drop down menu showing her categories and is then able to find her products with greater ease and speed. 

I took a look at our versions of the app and hers is 5.25 while mine is 5.27.  Not sure if this is the reason. 

any help would greatly be appreciated. I use my square for my handmade crochet products and it’s a loooong list. 

Message 8 of 22
Admin

@EOV Is your device also up to date?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 22

Yes, my phone is up to date.

Message 10 of 22

So are there plans to have an option where vendors can use Categories in Checkout? When I go to checkout, nothing is organized, (or maybe I'm missing something to help sort through items). It's almost as if the category option is useless  when it is needed the most. It would be very helpful to have this updated as an option during checkout. 

Message 11 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hey @EOV and @HMJAK!

Are you both trying to do this from a phone? It should be able to be done from an iPad or tablet but not a mobile device. 

Ashley C
Message 12 of 22

iphone

Message 13 of 22

@HMJAK Ah yeah that would explain it. There's not a way to checkout by category from a mobile device.

I see how that would be useful and I'll pass that suggestion up to the Product team!

Ashley C
Message 14 of 22

Hi, any update on this?

I use the Square App for a market we sell at every week. We sell different products each week, so it would be great to have a Category for each week to organize and sell from instead of an unorganized list.

Message 15 of 22

Oh, and I use and IPhone 11 Pro

Message 16 of 22

Hi @joshmay92 - thanks for bumping this thread and checking in here. no shareable updates to provide from a production stand-point at this time. As soon as we do have news to share on this front, we will bounce back here and update everyone accordingly.

Really appreciate you hanging tough!

Joe
Message 17 of 22
Beta Member

Square POS for Android and ipad have the ability to sort by category when you are ringing someone up. Not sure why the iPhone app doesn't allow it or have that feature, unless it's just something we are all missing. 

I have all three devices and use them regularly. 

Message 18 of 22

@2BirdsCoffeeCo Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community. This is still a feature request for iPhones specifically, but you can create a favorites list that may help you speed up the checkout line when you're using the iPhone specifically. I will continue passing all feedback I come across to our developers. 

As always, let me know if you have any other questions. 

AshleyK
Message 19 of 22

Another vote for getting the iphone to look like all the other devices.  This has been an issue for 5 years - it should be prioritized.  All the devices should look alike, and it just make common sense to be able to sort by category.

Message 20 of 22

come on Square - sort it out!

We have your POS system (which we think is great) and have now added an extra card reader assuming we could use an old iPhone which we already own to add another till to our system - No Categories makes it useless!

Message 21 of 22