x
Beta Member

How do you combine customers if they are not being flagged as duplicates?

I have duplicate customers with transactions and I'd like to combine them.  Same names, but I don't have email addresses or phone numbers.  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square

There isn't currently a way to manually merge duplicate customers, but I definitely see why that would be useful since each has transaction history. (Otherwise, I would just suggest deleting the extra one.) 

The duplicate entries are automatically generated so if you do get their contact info and add it to each, you should eventually see the option to merge them as well. In the meantime I'll share your request with our product liaisons team!

Message 2 of 13

Did this ever get fixed, so that we can manually merge clients? I am having the same problem, Square is not recognizing my clients as duplicates (there are dozens of them!). It's going to take me a long time to add information to make them match-up and be recognized at duplicates. This is very frustrating!
Please let me know if Square fixed this... and if not, then why? Thanks!

Message 3 of 13
Square

@healthyhairbyc We still don't have a way to manually merge customers but your Customer Directory will automatically detect duplicates if more than one customer has the same email address on phone number listed in their contact information. 

Are you looking for other information to flag as duplicates? I'd love to share your feedback with our Product team. 

Message 4 of 13
Beta Member

Hi healthyhairbyc - nope, has not been fixed. I think Square is concerned that there are people with identical names, and combining those without some other identifying characteristic - phone number, email address, would be a mistake. I think they should let us make that call, and allow us to Combine or Not Combine. Right now, if a customer is flagged to Combine, we have no way to say no. I have customers with different names, but who live in the same household. Square wants to combine those. I had to remove their address info to bypass Square. Are you listening, Square developers? Give us more control, please!
Message 5 of 13

I take my duplicates and add a fake email address to both (ex. abc@abc.com), refresh the directory screen a few times and then combine.  however, I am having trouble with stars just disappearing for some unknown reason when I do this.  not all the time tho, so it's confusing.  this loyalty program is VERY GLITCHY!  not worth 20cents much less $20 yet.

Message 6 of 13
Square

@ranchosierra I absolutely see how this would be a very useful feature! We've shared your request out with the team, thanks for taking the time to post! 

@sueg Your loyalty stars shouldn't be disappearing! Our Support Team can help track down those missing stars and make sure that your loyalty program is functioning correctly and not being glitchy. 

If you have any trouble getting ahold of our team, check out this thread.

Message 7 of 13
Beta Member

Oh @sueg, I agree.  This loyalty program was released way too early.  I think we should be compensated for unknowingly beta testing this product on our customers.  

Message 8 of 13

Yup, there's definitely an issue with the way Square handles duplicates.  They claim to match on name and email, but it seems that's only true if email isn't null.  We found this out the hard way, as we have another system we use to a) occasionally export from a csv of all customers and b) import them into Square.  Unfortunately, each time we do that we get duplicates on any customer without an email.  That's a pain, and hopefully will be resolved soon!

Message 9 of 13

I just did the "merge all" feature, but I am still seeing many duplicates, all with the same name, email, and phone number, why are these not merging?

Message 10 of 13

@cleanprosupply Welcome to the Seller Community! The directory will combine customer profiles, if they share an email or phone number. The name will not factor into this.

If you are still experiencing the issue of duplicates inside of these parameters please let us know. You can always contact our Support Team to look at account specific cases.

Message 11 of 13

I came looking for this answer and glad to see others are having the same problem. Thank you. Thought it was me. (I agree with the person below who said we should be compensated, or at least should have been asked if we wanted to test beta programs...not charged.)

Message 12 of 13
Admin

Hi @lisab, thanks for taking the time to share this and sorry to hear that it's causing confusion with your account as well. For now, I'd echo Spenser's suggestion of deleting any duplicate contacts that aren't getting flagged.

While we do not have any further developments to share at this time, rest assured that I'll be passing along your experience to our Product Liaison team.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 13 of 13