x

How to accept donations through square from my website?

I am wanting to accept donations through square. People visits our church website, if they want to tithe or donate they will click on a button or link to our square donating area. I seen several churches have this.

How is this to be set up, I spent literally 2-3 hours looking up answers and information on how to do this and cannot seem to get it working or find out how to do it. 

Thank you for helping. 

Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @fwcvandalia

You should be able to follow the below steps to get to the place where you can set up donations:

1. Login to your Square Dashboard and head to your Online Overview page 
  2. You should see a page that says Welcome to your Online Store at the top left hand corner of the page. Below, you'll click the button that says Add a product to sell
  3. You should see a page that looks like the image below. When you click the drop down for Product Type, select the option that says Donation

You'll see additional space on that where you can add descriptions, donation values, and tax exemptions.

If you run into any issues while setting this up, I'd suggest looking at this article from our Support Center, or get in touch with our Support team. They are the ones to would be able to best assist with setting up your page!

This post was updated in October 2021 by a moderator to include the updated verbiage.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @fwcvandalia

You should be able to follow the below steps to get to the place where you can set up donations:

1. Login to your Square Dashboard and head to your Online Overview page 
  2. You should see a page that says Welcome to your Online Store at the top left hand corner of the page. Below, you'll click the button that says Add a product to sell
  3. You should see a page that looks like the image below. When you click the drop down for Product Type, select the option that says Donation

You'll see additional space on that where you can add descriptions, donation values, and tax exemptions.

If you run into any issues while setting this up, I'd suggest looking at this article from our Support Center, or get in touch with our Support team. They are the ones to would be able to best assist with setting up your page!

This post was updated in October 2021 by a moderator to include the updated verbiage.

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 2 of 26

Is there away for them to enter a custom amount if they wanted to instead of picking a amount that I made on the store?

Message 3 of 26
Admin

@fwcvandalia There's actually not a way to do add a custom amount... yet. But it's definitely on the list for our Weebly Product Team. 

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 4 of 26

I see from the post of June of last year that the Custom donation amount was coming. I just tried to update our old donation item in the store to add the custom option, but it makes the product disappear from the store.

Am I doing something wrong or is this feature not yet operational?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 26
Alumni

This feature is functional, and shouldn't be giving you this trouble, @nancyrose. I would recommend trying to toggle on the Allow custom donation amounts option again today, as I know we were experiencing some kinks yesterday that may have affected this function.

If that doesn't do the trick, I'd advise you to try creating a new donation item to see if the item still disappears - the custom donation option should be toggled on by default this way. If you're still running into this issue, please send me a private message here so I can take a closer look.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 26

Is there an updated instruction on how to do this? I Screenshot (204).png

I get this selection: Online Checkout. When I go to create the link (this is AFTER I have already logged into my weebly account) I get this error message:

I try to go to my weebly with no instruction on HOW to link the accountI try to go to my weebly with no instruction on HOW to link the account

Message 7 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MikieG and welcome to the Community.

Are you still getting this error when trying to create a checkout link?

Ashley C
Message 8 of 26

I get that all the time. It really limits the flexibility I have in setting up our site. Very annoying.

Message 9 of 26

Most of my clients, as well as myself, have absolutely no desire to use Weebly or another platform for donations, as we have our own websites. An integrated solution that functions on our domains is much more desirable.

Message 10 of 26

I work with a 501 (c) 3 non-profit.  We just started with SquareUp and need some step-by-step help on how to set up a button(s) to receive customized donation amounts. Can you send us some information  on how to set that up?  Or do you have a link that you can share to help me?

Marika22

Message 11 of 26
Admin

Thanks for joining the Seller Community @marika22!

I moved your question over to this thread so you can see how to set up Donations through an Online website. 

If you're asking about accepting donations through the Square POS app, though, that's a feature request we're tracking here.

Let us know if any other questions come up. We're here for you!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 12 of 26

I have setup two (2) store apps now, they work great!  However, how do I add the monthly donation option?  Check box?

I saw the suggestion to "invoice" them, but if they donate from our website (the purpose of the store), how do I offer a monthly option there?  Greatly appreciate your help!

Message 13 of 26

Hello @f4families.

You can create a donation button in our Square Dashboard and our Online Store. At this time, the feature does not allow you to add a checkbox for a recurring monthly donation. Invoices are a great alternative for setting up recurring payments but you cannot send a blank invoice for the seller to enter their own donation amount. Take a look at this Seller Community post for more information on how to create a donation button.

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 14 of 26

Where?  I cannot find this Donate button.  I go to the Online Store and do not see Welcome or Add Product anywhere.

Message 15 of 26

All I can find is Create An Item but that doesn't work to set up a donation button.  There is no Online Store>Welcome>Add Product>Donate Button as per the instructions.

032520 Square dashbord.jpg032520 Create Item Square.jpg

Message 16 of 26

The solution in the linked post doesn't work.  I'm using WordPress and Square is already integrated with my shop.  I would think adding a Donate button would be an easy matter.

Message 17 of 26

Hi there, @CharleneMarsh - thanks for reaching back out and clarifying that the solution listed in this thread won't work for you. This solution is in regards to our proprietary online store, and this solution will not work on Wordpress. I apologize for the miscommunication on our part.

While we don't have specific instructions for enabling donations from a Wordpress based site, this may be something that can be solved by reaching out to our Support Team. They can utilize the knowledge of our API Product Teams to see if we can find an efficient workaround to set up your donations.

Joe
Message 18 of 26

I set up an account with Stripe and set up a plugin that works using Stripe as the Gateway.  I wanted to use Square but just couldn't find a solution.  Square may want to consider working on making a Donate button available for Wordpress.  I could not find a free plugin that worked with Square and not about to spend $79/year for a plugin license for it.  Especially not now with everything in collapse.

Message 19 of 26

Thanks for your feedback and updating us on where you are at, @CharleneMarsh. So sorry we missed the mark on this one. We are always looking for ways to improve our partner integrations, and I will be sure to pass along your comments to our Product Teams. Best of luck!

Joe
Message 20 of 26

i want to start a fundraiser for my business how is it possible with this app?

Message 21 of 26