x

How to create upcharges

I'm wondering how I can, if there is work around, what others have done, etc-on upcharging items.

Example-we are a coffee shop and bakery and cafe-our lunch menu has a meal or only option for each of our menu items. So you can get a grilled chicken panini as a meal or as a single sandwich. A meal for us means the sandwich comes with a side and a medium fountain drink/tea. Our customers regularly like to instead of a medium drink, want to make it a large, or extra large, or instead of a fountain drink a cherry limeade, iced latte etc.

So when our customers order online a lot of times they just add a note that they want their drink to be an extra large cherry limeade. And then when they come to pick up their order and speed out the door we have to stop them and say sorry your drink request is not covered under the meal, so you will have to pay for it separately and it's a whole thing. And sometimes in rushes baristas won't even stop and ask they just give them the more expensive drink for no charge.

Is there a way without making a modifier set for every single kind of drink we have, for there to be some sort of upcharge or way for them to add on a more expensive drink? What do other places do? Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@pekarna What I have done is a modifier that looks like the following:

I would have an item that is the sandwich and from here you can make a modifier that says Meal Upgrades and then list the items and cost like follows:

Make fountain drink a large  +.99

Substitute a Latte  +1.99

Make it an extra large +1.99

Etc. Etc.

If you have a more complicated set of options I would do it a little differently...how many combinations do you have or can you post a pic of your menu how it is listed (sides drinks etc) and I would be happy to show you a way that works.  Online orders with multiple drinks and side items are one of the things I have done pretty extensively up until recently.  I actually discontinued packaging my entrees with my sides and drinks instead of raising prices.  I basically took away my combo discount in favor of letting people choose their items.  It essentially was still a price increase, but it let people control their bottom line a bit and me have more individual control over some of the wildly different prices on certain items..i.e. turkey right now.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 2