x

How to set Sales Tax - GA

Hello all,

I'm a new user of Squareup and still in the middle of setting up the account although I've already used the app for a few transactions outside of my nexus state.

I have a few questions on what tax rate to charge. Below are my situations/questions and I'm hoping some of you experts out there might be able to shine a light. Also, if I write any wrong information, please correct me:

1. I have a nexus in GA. Because GA has destination based sales tax, I don't have to charge sales tax to buyers from out of state.

2. I'm attending an expo in GA in about 2 weeks and planning on using squareup for transactions. Because GA has different tax rates for different counties, I don't know if I need to/should charge all customers 1 sales tax rate(maybe the city rate of where the expo is located, which is ATL?) or different rates according to where customers are actually from.

3. If I was using it outside of an expo, what should be the sales tax rate for my above question(#2)?

4. I saw a thread explaining how to export a spreadsheet that shows sales tax, but what do I do with it? Do I hand it to my accountant and let him file it?

I'm a just starting the business and I don't know much about tax nor does my accountant seem have a lot of experience dealing with businesses that do online selling, etc. If any expert out there could kindly advise, I'd really appreciate it.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller Alumni

I would contact your State Treasurer's office for clarification or an accountant.  

In my state in-person take with transactions tax rate is based on my business location,  If I do an expo I just charge state tax rate and not the city tax rate. Anything delivered to the customers home I  charge their tax rate because I am delivering it to them.  

Again I would seek the advice of a professional.

Message 2 of 2