x

I don't have cell service at my place of business. I do have an IPhone with data, can I use Square?

need help, I need to be able to manually key in CC transactions without cell service

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

if you don't have cell service then you won't have an LTE or data connection.  you can run credit cards offline until you get to a place with cell service but that is risky and not a long term solution as you incur all the risk of fradualnt and expiered credit cards since you are processing them esentially blind.

Maybe you should clarify your situation.  

long term solution would be to get cable or DSL or some kind of internet at your facility if you don't have a phone that can connect to a cell tower. 

Message 2 of 5
Alumni

Hey @sri_me, @VanKalkerFarms is right - in order to use Square to process payments, you'll need a data or wifi connection. We do have offline mode for times internet service is temporarily unavailable, but we don't recommend relying on that all the time. What kind of business do you have? Depending on how your business works, you could invoice your customers from a computer.

If you tell us a little more about your situation, perhaps we can offer some other ideas as well. Let us know and thanks for reaching out via the Community! 👍

Message 3 of 5

just saw this post, i am new to square also and live in a rural time, 99% of time i will have date or cell service but there could be those times it isn't connecting..so are you saying i can do it off line, i alwasy get their phone number in the event of a off line transaction

Message 4 of 5
Square

@roses - Happy to take over for Kelly. In those circumstances where you don't have a connection, you definitely use offline mode. In fact, this is probably the best use-case for why we made this feature. 😊

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 5