x

If I issue a refund for an invoice paid by check, will the funds get debited from my bank account?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Issuing a refund]

I have an invoice that was paid by check. The event was cancelled so I need to refund the client. I would prefer to write the client a check. When I go to the invoice and select refund I get this message: "By issuing this refund, I authorize Square to debit the refund amount from my outstanding Square balance, or, if those funds are unavailable, the bank account linked to my Square account." I don't want anything to be deducted from my bank account automatically if I'm going to write her a check. Am I misinterpreting this message? I'm afraid I will be refunding her twice.

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @POAD!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

The payment would be refunded in whatever the original payment method is. If you refund a cash or check payment, the payment should just be marked as refunded without debiting any funds. 

To confirm, I created a test invoice on my end, marked it as paid by check, and then issued a refund. I got the same alert, however my bank account was not debited because the original payment method is check not card:

Thanks again for your post, and I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions about this 💡.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @POAD!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

The payment would be refunded in whatever the original payment method is. If you refund a cash or check payment, the payment should just be marked as refunded without debiting any funds. 

To confirm, I created a test invoice on my end, marked it as paid by check, and then issued a refund. I got the same alert, however my bank account was not debited because the original payment method is check not card:

Thanks again for your post, and I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions about this 💡.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 4

Need to refund customer for 2nd payment due to dispute, but do not have any of the funds available.  Have emailed since 9/25/21 and no response from Square.  Customer is furious! Please help!

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @wendyp9,

Thanks for writing in and sorry about the trouble here! While we're not able to look into disputes, or specific refunds via this public forum, our CS team would be able to look into this further with you. It might also be worth checking if there's any outstanding notifications in your dashboard. Get in touch here

PS. I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 🙂

Message 4 of 4