x

If someone steals Square register are the credit cards that were swiper safe?

Our square register was stolen, but not our iPad. Are the credit cards that have been swiped compromised due to this event?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

All of your account information is only accessible through the Square Register app itself and not in the Square Stand. 

Your account, as well as the payments and activity within your Square Account, should be safe as long as they were not able to steal the iPad. 

Also, if in the event your device ever gets stolen or compromised, we can take measures to make sure your accounts are all logged out. 

Message 2 of 5

my phone was stolen and has the square app-should i cancel this account

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

the easiest fix is to change the email and password associated with your Square account.  that way if they try to access your square account it will ask them to log in.  In all likelihood, if your phone was stolen it was wiped immediately because the phone is what is valuable.  none of the credit card numbers are accessible to anyone logged in either.

Message 4 of 5

Hello @heidischneidi, I'm sorry to hear about your phone. 😢

The credit numbers you process through Square are encrypted and the most someone could see is the last 4 digits of a card number. I do recommend resetting your password as @VanKalkerFarms mentioned so they're logged out of your account. 

If there's anything we can help with please feel free to reach out to our Customer Success Team

Message 5 of 5