x

Is there a way to categorize shipping costs?

Right now under sales reports, any orders placed online for shipping show the shipping fees as UNCATEGORIZED. Is there a way to change that? To differenciate multiple uncategorized items that include shipping in accounting software is proving to be a nightmare. It takes multiple reports to delve into each sale rather than running one that shows shipping and others items in their own category.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square

You'll just need to add them to a category! It's a pretty simple process to get those reports right for you! To get started:

- Sign in to your dashboard and click Items then select Categories.
- Click Create Category and enter a name.

When creating items online, you’ll have the option to assign items to categories by selecting from a drop-down list. If you need to delete a category, click the trash can icon and select Delete Category.

Check out our Support Center to learn more about managing your items.

Message 2 of 8

Items are all in their respective categories. Shipping charges are not. THey show as uncategorized.

Message 3 of 8
Square

@toolbox Sorry for the confusion! I'm happy to follow up. Online Store sales should be listed under the "ONLINE ONLY" Category. Would you mind sharing exactly which report you're looking at? A screenshot would be helpful too! 

Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 8

I am also having this issue. We run sales in person at a large event, and those sales are generally Uncategorized. We also have sales happening at the Sqare online store for Items, and the shipping from those sales shows up in Uncategorized as well. It makes for some very hard math at the end of a long day. Why doesn't shipping show up in it's own category? This is using the Sales Report available through the Square Register App for Android. I do not, unfortunately, have screen shots available.

Message 5 of 8
Square

At least for the item sales at your event, they can all be categorized, @TigerTorreArt

So long as you set up your Categories, you just need to ensure all of your items are assigned to one. 

At this time however, shipping collected in the Online Store is uncategorized and there isn't a work around for that. We don't currently have plans to update that but I'll share the request with our product team nonetheless. Let me know if I can clarify anything!

Message 6 of 8

This does not help at all for sales that we are running as a total amount, instead of individual items. We have no desire to enter in over 200 individual items, and it is much faster to run a sale for the total of a customer's accumulated purchases at large events.

If we were able to run a custom amount (sales total) under a category with no items in it, that we name for that event, it would be helpful. But the Square Register app only lets you choose items, not a category.

If all shipping charges were under their own category of "Shipping", it would make far more sense overall.

Or if there was a way to run a report from within the Register app for "Online Sales" versus "In Person" or "Via Register Sales".

Message 7 of 8
Square

One workaround - aside from saving the items - would be to create a variable priced item for your event/category. For example, you can save an item without a price, "Event XYZ," and then just add it and the total amount of the charge at the time of sale. That way you can still have an item to track your custom amount sales.

While not in the app, you can view all of your Online Store sales separately in your Dashboard, and can export that file to spreadsheet as well. Hope that helps!

Message 8 of 8