x

Is there a way to organize item library so you can checkout by category?

I am a jewelry artist and have an item library of 50 items with all different prices. I have sorted them into 4 categories. However, when I am in checkout mode my item library is still listed individually rather than by category, which means I spend alot of time scrolling to find the right item. Should I have set this up differently? i.e make 4 items and then use either variations or options to subdivide each item? If I do it that way can 1 item have variations that are different price points?Thanks

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@PhbeaD What are you using to checkout?

If it is a tablet, just hold down a square to edit your item grid layout, and you can add the category to the item grid.  when you tap on the category it will bring up the list of only items in that category. Otherwise you can set up tabs with about 20 items per tab to quickly flip between the items.  

If you are using a mobile device like phone, your categories should be at the top and you can just tap on them, and there are now favorites which you can just put a category there and quickly tab through them.

tempFileForShare_20210715-072326.jpg

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Best Answer

@PhbeaD What are you using to checkout?

If it is a tablet, just hold down a square to edit your item grid layout, and you can add the category to the item grid.  when you tap on the category it will bring up the list of only items in that category. Otherwise you can set up tabs with about 20 items per tab to quickly flip between the items.  

If you are using a mobile device like phone, your categories should be at the top and you can just tap on them, and there are now favorites which you can just put a category there and quickly tab through them.

tempFileForShare_20210715-072326.jpg

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 6

Hi-thanks for your response. I am using my iphone for checkout. But my screen does not look like the one you showed. Maybe I need to update the app?

Message 3 of 6

Have you tried to hold down a square to edit your item grid layout, and you can add the category to the item grid in the new POS? I can't get an item to move anywhere other than it's original position.

Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

I can put a single item on the grid but not a category, can anyone help? 

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Superiorspas 

In order for a Category to appear when attempting to add to the Item Grid you will need to first assign items to it. Once that is done and you go back to the Item Grid your Categories will be listed just after the default option. On my device, they appear after Services.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6