x

Is there a way to split tip among workers and owner?

Because of this pandemic. We (the owners) are running our shop by ourselves. Now we have brought back a worker. Because we don't clock as owners. Does that one worker get all the tips? Is there a way to split without having to clock in? We have square payroll and timecard.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @anhmazingfood,

If you are using Square Payroll, then you can pool tips between all employees working during a pay period or workday. There is a detailed article about Square Payroll Tip Importing here, but what you are looking for is stated as follows:

"To enable Tip Importing with pooling and splitting:

1. Sign in to the Settings tab of your online Square Payroll dashboard.
  2. Toggle Enable Tip Importing on.
  3. Select Pool and Split Tips.
  4. Select a Pooling Interval:
    • Pay Period: Square Payroll will include all tips collected for the entire pay period and split them based on hours worked per employee.
    • Workday: Square Payroll will include all tips collected for a workday and split them based on the employees who have hours for the day.
  5. Click Save."
Message 2 of 9

@mattd 

That is currently how we have it set up but we (the owners) don’t clock in so we are not able to be part of the pool. We are trying to figure a way around that.

Message 3 of 9

Makes sense @anhmazingfood. My initial thought would be to add yourselves to the payroll at $0 per hour and clock in when you want to share tips, but I am not sure if this is possible to set $0/hour. Maybe a Square admin may have more to add.

Message 4 of 9

@mattd 

we have tried that and it does work but then we would get a paycheck and w2 and a owner can’t be a w2 employee

Message 5 of 9

I have just figured out that you can manually enter the tip when doing payroll. That is what I did to resolve my question. Thank You

Message 6 of 9

Hey- so we have one employee who clocking in and out and is therefore receiving all of his allocated tips. However, there are other tips that technically belong to the employer but they are not clocking in and out. How do we go about getting them those tips? 

Message 7 of 9
Admin

Hey @yghernandez- Check out this thread for some guidance!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 8 of 9

@yghernandez If you're using square payroll, when doing the payroll, you're actually able to click on the tip section and manually type in the tip. We have situations like yours so we use an excel for tracking it and manually changing the tips in the payroll.

Message 9 of 9