x

Link Customer info to Square POS transaction programmatically?

Hi Square community,

I have been successfuly utilizing the Square POS API to process customer transactions through my Android app. To associate each customer with their transaction, I have been requesting the customer to enter their email which I then pair with the transaction ID's in a record file which I save on our server. However, this is only a temporary solution because I would optimally prefer to pass their email in to Square in order to build a customer record which I can reach thru the dashboard. In the best scenario, I would like the option to send email receipts after the transaction. I know this info can be entered manually into the Square form during checkout, but instead can we send the customer's info (perhaps thru the Customers API which I am looking into now), and have it associated with the POS transaction?

thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Welcome to the seller community, @xphr5!

I've I'm understanding your business needs correctly, it sounds like we do have a solution for this built into the app. Once your customer enters in their email after completing a payment, you'll be able to send you digital receipts, marketing emails, and messages via the app.

To view your customer's purchase history, head over to your online Square Dashboard and open up your Directory tab > select appropriate customer > view Activity

For more information, have a look at these articles:

Hope this helps clear things up a bit more. Please don't hesitate to reply if I'm missing the mark or if any other questions come up! 

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 6

Hi Tom

Thanks for the response. My custom Android app collects the customer's email and asks them to opt-in to our own marketing program. Then, we process a transaction through the Square POS API. So, I wonder is it possible for me to link the customer's provided email with a transaction record using Square when both data are being collected separately? My app is currently recording this info into a database seperate from Square which is not my preference. thanks!

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Got it. Thanks for your patience and helping me understand your set up, @xphr5. I'm running this by our API Team for more insight—will be back with more information as soon as possible. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 6
Admin

Hello @xphr5, Helen here stepping in for Tom while he's out of the office.

Our API team confirmed that you would need to create the customer (`CreateCustomer`) before initiating the payment request. When you create a customer via our APIs, you will receive a `Customer` response, which includes a `customer_id`. One of the optional parameters in the Android POS API is `customerId`, so you would then pass that id to the charge request.

Some additional references are available in Square Connect:

If you have any questions about this let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 6

alriiight! Thanks so much to you both. 

Message 6 of 6