x

Linking Gift Cards to Customer Profiles

I don't how many people will agree with me, but the egift card set up is pretty dumb and not user friendly.  I don't understand why a customer has to "claim" the egift card from email for it to show up on the system.  What happens if they don't claim it?  Where does it go?  With so many spam email out there, wouldn't the recipient think it may be spam mail and then erase it, and, possibly never "claim" it?  This needs to be fixed.  Also, who carries their gift card number with them anyways?  With life being so complicated as it is, why add another complication?  That's why it's more convenient if gift card accounts can be saved as customer accounts where we can look up names versus looking up a long gift card number.  This way, we make it easier for customers.  This should be an issue with egift cards and physical gift cards.  It's already a pain that cards that are linked with a customer profile only has 4 numbers and we have no access to the full number.  Also, to check balances we have to have the full number instead of checking with the 4 numbers to provided to us.  Why is it that customers can make purchases with a linked card, but cannot check  a linked card balance on the Square app?  Going to the Square dashboard or exporting a gift card report (which only lists 4 numbers) is very inconvenient and time consuming, especially during peak business hours.

Again, this is very inconvenient and doesn't make it a good reason to promote Square gift cards.

Simplify things.  Life is already complicated for businesses these days.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Alumni

Hi hi @pacbaycoffee - sorry to see trouble has brought you to the Seller Community

When someone buys an eGift Card, the recipient does not need to take any action to use the eGift Card after it is sent to them. They do have the option of linking their eGift Card to an email address or phone number, as another redemption avenue. However, there is not an additional necessary step of "claiming". The copy on the eGift Card email will state: View your eGift Card.

The easiest way for a recipient of an eGift Card to check the balance on their eGift Card is by following the steps described in this section of that same page: by clicking on the View Your eGift Card button within the original eGift Card email.

I hope this helps clarify some of the bits you touched on in your post, but let me know if you have any questions about this.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2