x

Loyalty: Earning points and redeeming them on the same transaction

Hello all,

Sorry for the duplicate if this is one, I couldn't find if this was answered already...

Is there a way to NOT allow customers to EARN points on the same transaction they REDEEM their points?

Like, you can redeem your points today, but today's transaction will not add more points. 

That's what I want to do. 

I feel like there should be an eihter/or option. Either you redeem them, or you earn more. 

Is this possible?

Again, If the question was already asked, I'm sorry for the repeat. I coulnd't find the answer.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

I don't believe there is a way to do this but I am not a user of the Square Loyalty program.   @pessosices do you use it?

Message 2 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

While there isn’t a particular setting that will let you toggle what you’re looking for on or off, I believe that there is a certain set of conditions that would make that happen. At least it used to be when I was playing around with it last year:

If you set up your Points earned based on Items/Categories and if your reward is a $ Amount Off of the Total transaction, then as a consequence no points will be awarded to that transaction since the discount is divided and applied to all items. 

Other than that particular combination, there does not seem to be a way to prevent earning points in the same transaction where a reward is used. 

However, feedback that I’ve gotten from my customers is that they love that they can still earn points on transactions that they use rewards, as long as they still meet the qualifications. 

For example, if your program awards 1 point for every $50 spent, and your reward is $10 off, if their total is for $61 and they use a $10 off, they will still spend $51 and get the 1 point.

The system works really well overall and myself and my employees and my customers all really love using Square Loyalty!

What setup for your program are you thinking of? I’d love to help you customize it and come up with a system that works for you! 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

I too agree that earning points on a transaction that had a discount for points earned is a must.  It is a reward and loyalty program and they are being rewarded for being loyal.  if you make it restrictive then you are just making the consumer try to work around your rewards system to not be penalized.  But every business is allowed to make a system as they see fit.

we don't use Square loyalty, we have punch cards and we allow people to use their purchase today to fill the card as long as there is enough on the transaction to still get the punch after the discount is applied.  people are always like trying to "scam" it by "hey I need this in 2 transactions" and we're like don't worry we'll give you your discount, no need to make multiple transactions.

Message 4 of 6

Without judgement please, is this a possiblilty? 

Not everyone's business is the same. 

We've all been to businesses where you bring your punchcard, and you can redeem your punchcard for your coupon or free oil change or whatever. You don't get a new punch on the redeeming of the punchcard. 

I am asking if it is a feature that is possible to be turned on?

thanks

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

There’s no judgement at all, just sharing my experience with the program and with my customers. 

So in that example that you gave, using square loyalty if your reward was for a free oil change, the Customer would redeem a free oil change and not earn more points, just like with a paper system. 

If the customer redeemed the free oil change on their main car and in the same transaction got another oil change on a second car, they would earn 1 point for only the 1 oil change they paid for - just like they would in the paper example you mentioned. 

What are the parameters of the loyalty program you want to put together? I would love to help put it in the context of the square loyalty for you and see if it works for you!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 6 of 6