x

Managing Inventory with variants

We have a large inventory, which was originally made digital on a different point of sale and we recently switched to square. One improvement that is coming with square  is the option to have variants for one item, variants with different prices and SKUs. 

So i have a couple of questions regarding this: 

Is there a way to convert items from individual items into one item with multiple variants that is more efficient than going one by one through our inventory? 

what is the best way to enter new items when i want to create those items with variants, is there template that i need to follow?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller Alumni

You can edit or add your items and inventory via a .csv or excel spreadsheet.  I would enter one item into the system manually and then export the sheet.  This way you will be able to see how it works.

Things to know.  Any item name that is the same on your sheet the system puts together as a variant.  You must then have a different variant name for each.  If there is no variant they system will add the work Regular in the variant cell.

IE

Item Name:    Variant:

T-Shirt              Small

T-Shirt              Medium

T-Shirt              Large

Each varient and item must have a different UPC/SKU.  You have a separate price for each,  can be the same or different.

Also because this is a new upload make sure your quantity is in the "New Quantity Column or it will not add it.

Message 2 of 5
Admin

Thanks for helping out with this, @RHatch. Additional information on this is available in our Support Center: Import Items Online.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

Is it possible to add inventory quantities to several variations of an item at the same time? For instance, if I get in 2 of each size, is there a way to just add 2 to all of the variations at one time instead of going in and adjust stock on each variation?

Message 4 of 5
Alumni

The fastest way is to add stock amounts on a spreadsheet and uploading it to the Item Library. 

I found a thread that will help! I moved you so your can learn more. @NathalieCo

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5