x

Menu Setup for an Ice cream shop help!

I am trying to get my menu set up for my ice cream shop but I am running into some trouble. I'm sure there is an easy way to achieve my goal but I am just spinning in circles here. 

1. So the way I have most items laid out is as such: 

Item: Ice cream

Variations: size options with prices to reflect size

Modifiers: cone/cup or both (with price increase for both), Ice cream flavor (which I want to keep, we dont rotate through flavors, we only have 6 options)

I am very happy with that so far but my trouble is that we will have people order an 8 oz cup of ice cream and want 2 servings of sprinkles on the ice cream. No problem but if I add a modifier for sprinkles (along with our other items you could add on top) it only lets me select it once. How can I add sprinkles x2 and have the price reflect the cost of the additional topping since we charge $1 per topping.

2. For our banana splits: I want to have a "standard button" that is the normal way we do banana splits but also want them to be fully customizable so I would need to select 3 flavors of ice cream, 3 toppings, whipped cream, and nuts (with the ability to say no whip, or something else instead of nuts). Which I can do but my customers like to get specific with it so the first ice cream may be chocolate ice cream with hot fudge on top, then strawberry ice cream with strawberries, and vanilla ice cream with caramel. So how do I need to program that into the register where my employees easily see the matching combos not just the 3 flavors of ice cream and 3 toppings. 

Thanks so much for the help!! 

@pessosices tagging you since you seem to be super helpful when it comes to ice cream! 🙂

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @TheDairyBar 

@Great questions! 

1. there’s no way to do 2x modifiers yet, which would be great! What you could do is add a second duplicated modifier group called Extra Toppings so if they do want 2x, you can just keep scrolling and add sprinkles again. What we do is just ring up extra as a separate topping item and put the second on the side for them. 

2. Lots of good questions here. 
here are some ideas:

You could make a modifier group that is “Standard or Customized” with the default set to automatically choose standard, so if they want it standard, you don’t have to do anything and you’re done. 
The next modifier group would be “whip or no whip” again, defaulted to select whip, and the next “Nuts or No” with the default to nuts and the other options being all of your other toppings. 

The next part is trickier and not ideal but if you need the specifics of toppings matching ice creams, then:

I would say make 6 modified groups, 1st ice  Cream, 1st Topping, 2nd ice cream, 2nd topping, 3rd & 3rd. 
All of these would be Optional with no item preselected/defaulted so if they just get the standard, these won’t be selected. 

Or my personal recommendation would just be to not customize specific toppings onto specific flavors and tell them that you put the toppings across the whole thing or at random. It’s a lot to have to do that level of minutia and just not worth the time and effort to take that detailed orders and follow them. 

We also don’t do banana splits so we don’t have to deal with keeping bananas fresh, cutting them, and all of that nonsense. It’s a big hassle and again just not worth it. We’ve simplified our business tremendously over the last 5 years and only increased profits after getting rid of all of the hardest and most expensive and most time consuming and most effort consuming tasks. Makes everything easier for us and for our employees, and for our customers - less decisions for them and less complaints! 

Feel free to pick & choose solutions from this and let me know how it goes! 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @TheDairyBar 

@Great questions! 

1. there’s no way to do 2x modifiers yet, which would be great! What you could do is add a second duplicated modifier group called Extra Toppings so if they do want 2x, you can just keep scrolling and add sprinkles again. What we do is just ring up extra as a separate topping item and put the second on the side for them. 

2. Lots of good questions here. 
here are some ideas:

You could make a modifier group that is “Standard or Customized” with the default set to automatically choose standard, so if they want it standard, you don’t have to do anything and you’re done. 
The next modifier group would be “whip or no whip” again, defaulted to select whip, and the next “Nuts or No” with the default to nuts and the other options being all of your other toppings. 

The next part is trickier and not ideal but if you need the specifics of toppings matching ice creams, then:

I would say make 6 modified groups, 1st ice  Cream, 1st Topping, 2nd ice cream, 2nd topping, 3rd & 3rd. 
All of these would be Optional with no item preselected/defaulted so if they just get the standard, these won’t be selected. 

Or my personal recommendation would just be to not customize specific toppings onto specific flavors and tell them that you put the toppings across the whole thing or at random. It’s a lot to have to do that level of minutia and just not worth the time and effort to take that detailed orders and follow them. 

We also don’t do banana splits so we don’t have to deal with keeping bananas fresh, cutting them, and all of that nonsense. It’s a big hassle and again just not worth it. We’ve simplified our business tremendously over the last 5 years and only increased profits after getting rid of all of the hardest and most expensive and most time consuming and most effort consuming tasks. Makes everything easier for us and for our employees, and for our customers - less decisions for them and less complaints! 

Feel free to pick & choose solutions from this and let me know how it goes! 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 5

If I want to withdrawal my funds what can I do and please guide as well

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

How can you set it up for like a 2 scoop to pick two different flavors of ice cream?

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

You could set up your flavours as modifiers, @CookieDB. Check out this guide to get started, and let us know how you go! 

Message 5 of 5