x

Need a promotional gift card, stat!

I held a raffle, with the prize being a gift card to my business. The raffle was done, and I was about to contact the winner to provide them with their code, so I went to the dashboard to create one. Um...no option for it...?

So I went to the POS to create one... Hm. No option for it?

So I search the FAQ and these forums.. What? No way to create egift cards myself?

SO infuriating. It feels like 3 or 4 times a week I'm blindsided by yet another discovery that Square doesn't do yet another thing it'd be perfectly reasonable to expect a payment processor to do. 😠

Sigh. So Square's convoluted web of features-and-not-features aside, how can I address this problem? I've ordered some gift cards (from the only company allowed to sell them; yet another contractual deal meant to benefit everyone but the customer, I bet) but they're going to take who knows how long to get here. Then I'll have to load it and physically mail it to the customer or have them go through the bother of findin the time to come pick it up. Unless someone has another suggestion?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Where is your business located?  Square gift cards only work in countries that Square services with Credit Card processing?  This was the problem last time someone couldn't find the gift card settings.

Message 2 of 6

I'm in the United States, Wyoming. I can find the gift card settings fine. There just doesn't seem to be a way to create a code (essentially, an e-gift card) without processing an actual payment as if I were a customer buying one.

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

what you can do is, say it's a $100 gift card you enter the gift card as $100 and apply a 100% discount to it, ending in a $0 charge but a card with $100 on it.

Message 4 of 6

Yes, but from what I can find that only works on the POS, and only when using a physical mag-stripe gift card. I've ordered some (grumbling as I did so) but would prefer to have a way to create a gift code without a physical card and without a payment.

Message 5 of 6
Alumni

Hey @DaoDeJing - Sorry about the frustration here. It sounds like our Email Marketing feature would work for you in the meantime. You can create a discount code from there and send it via email to the winner. Marketing campaigns are meant to be sent to multiple people, but a way to get around that is to add your customer to their own group within your Customer Directory. To do this within the app, follow these steps:

1. Tap the following icon: Three Horizontal Lines
  2. Tap Customers.
  3. To create a new group, tap Your Groups > Create Group to customize how you organize your contacts.
  4. If they are an existing customer in your directory, search for their name to add them to the group or tap Create Customer if they are not.

Once you have added this customer to their own group, you can Create Your Campaign and select their group in Audience portion. You can learn more at Get Started with Square Marketing.

Hope that helps! I know it's not the fastest solution, but let us know if you have any further questions.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 6 of 6