x

Needing solution to reconcile end of day cash at multiple locations using same account

I do not know if there is a solution to the current issue we are having with Square and the Square app. It's not really a technical issue or even a software issue more of a user issue. Our situation is this- We offer multiple vaccination clinics at different locations at different times. We use Square for all our payments at each location. Sometimes we have multiple locations going on at the same time in different places. the problem is there seems to be no way to be able to break down the payments received into cash and credit at each location. I cannot use device codes as each employee use their own phone and may use it at several locations and it may change who is at the location. I have tried adding items and categories for each location which has worked to get the total but I really need to be able to separate that into cash versus credit so whoever is working can reconcile the cash they have received with the total square is showing. This is especially critical since square does not allow you to "fix" missed entries, you have to put them in later and so they will not show up correctly in reports. I do hope someone can give me a solution to this but if not, I really hope you can simplify this software and app so it would be easier to do things like reconcile cash and fix errors.

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@PVS - I definitely think that designated tablets would be the best route to go, as for your other questions, I'll answer in-line. 

For one, it appears you cannot start or close the cash drawer unless you have a certain level of permission, which may be easy enough to fix in the employee permissions but haven't had a chance to check that yet.

You're correct. An employee would have to have the "Manage & Open Cash Drawer" permission enabled. Learn more about Employee Management. Also here is a screenshot:

I tried using a device code for one location but that was worse than before as it seems once you log in to a device using a code then the employee login no longer is used so it doesn't show who made the sale just which device!? 

This part is a little tricky. So, once you log in to a device using a device code (which is my recommendation), you'll need to make sure that you enable "Employee Management" from the Settings in the Square App. With that enabled, employees will enter their pin to log in to the app before they ring a sale. This will ensure each sale is tied to an employee. Leran how to manage devices by location. Also, learn to enable Employee Management on the Square App.

Hope this helps, and rest assured, switching can always be a little confusing in the beginning. I have no doubt you'll get the hang of it soon. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

@PVS - This is a tricky scenario indeed. If everyone was using the same device, then things would be much easier. Just out of curiosity, this is definitely not an option in your case? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 2 of 6

Hi Sean, 

I think maybe we will switch to using tablets which will help some because we can have a cash drawer which will be specific to that tablet at wherever we are using it but in testing this weekend still found a few hitches seems like. For one, it appears you cannot start or close the cash drawer unless you have a certain level of permission, which may be easy enough to fix in the employee permissions but haven't had a chance to check that yet. And even though we had a cash drawer, I still could not see credit card sales for that location only but since I use items as locations now, I can get the total and then minus out the cash to see cc sales for each place but somewhat a hassle.

I tried using a device code for one location but that was worse than before as it seems once you log in to a device using a code then the employee login no longer is used so it doesn't show who made the sale just which device!? That seems illogical to me. You should always be able to tell which employee made the sale. Again maybe we just do not know how to use the software but as simple as it is to start using square, we are finding to do more with it extremely confusing and difficult and may have to switch to a different platform if we cannot get square to work for our situation. Please if someone can help us keep track of cash and credit cc sales for each place we are going to, let me know!

Karen

Message 3 of 6
Square

Best Answer

@PVS - I definitely think that designated tablets would be the best route to go, as for your other questions, I'll answer in-line. 

For one, it appears you cannot start or close the cash drawer unless you have a certain level of permission, which may be easy enough to fix in the employee permissions but haven't had a chance to check that yet.

You're correct. An employee would have to have the "Manage & Open Cash Drawer" permission enabled. Learn more about Employee Management. Also here is a screenshot:

I tried using a device code for one location but that was worse than before as it seems once you log in to a device using a code then the employee login no longer is used so it doesn't show who made the sale just which device!? 

This part is a little tricky. So, once you log in to a device using a device code (which is my recommendation), you'll need to make sure that you enable "Employee Management" from the Settings in the Square App. With that enabled, employees will enter their pin to log in to the app before they ring a sale. This will ensure each sale is tied to an employee. Leran how to manage devices by location. Also, learn to enable Employee Management on the Square App.

Hope this helps, and rest assured, switching can always be a little confusing in the beginning. I have no doubt you'll get the hang of it soon. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 6

Thank you Sean, you have renewed my faith in Square once again. Excellent advice all around and seems easy enough that even I can handle it 🙂

Karen

Message 5 of 6
Square

@PVS - You're very welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions going forward. 👍🏻

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 6