x

Online Checkout Link with Dynamic Amount vs. User Entered

We are looking for away to integrate our current software process so that we can use Square's online checkout links to process payments.  Ideally, we hoped that the dollar amount could be included in the checkout link as we have variable priced items, which would save us from having to generate an invoice and get an email address to send that too.

Example: https://checkout.square.site/buy/KTQ5YNYCNNLJFSG5LFAKEURL?amount=65&95

This would pull up a checkout link requesting $65.95

Worst case the user would enter their amount.  I see the only way to allow the user to enter the amount is to label it as a donation, which then puts "donation" on the buttons.  Is there a way to allow the user to enter their own amount?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MikeOrlando02 thanks for taking the time to post and share this link. When I went to view it, the web page told me that item was not available. Are you able to share a screenshot of what you see and what you are looking for? 

All item checkout links will have the item price listed, so it sounds like you are possibly wanting a variable priced item where customers can say how much they want to pay for an item? If this isn't correct, then please give me an example as I would love to dig to the bottom of this. 

Below I have attached a screenshot of what customers will see if the item has a set price in a checkout link

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Thanks for the response @AshleyK

The link was just an example if what I was looking to do/hoping there was an ability to do.  Basically a way for me to append a custom/variable amount from my web site and bring that to a square payment form.  My site calculates the correct amount and I would like to send that amount to square to collect the payment.  It would be better than simply allowing the user to enter any amount as this would reduce errors and the need to issue refunds for errors.  Could this be a request to your dev team?

Worst case, yes, is there a way to have the customer enter the amount for a variable priced purchase?  I could only find a way to do this in the context of a "donation".  

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@MikeOrlando02 you're correct. The only way to achieve this through us will either be to set up a donation section for your web page or to use our Developer API. We really only recommend using our Developer API if you are a web page developer or working with one as we basically take a back seat with APIs. But, this would give you the tools to set up your web page as needed. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4