x

Payment not processing — payment method is 'other'?

my husband took payment via mag reader.  Is not showing up as a pending deposit or anything.  Payment method is listed as "other" What is up and what can i do to fix it.

Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @wolfewoman13, welcome to the Seller Community! 

I can shed some light on the payment method "other". It's an option on Square Point of Sale commonly used for recording payments by check. It's not limited to checks, but it creates a record of a payment. If a credit card was swiped with "other" selected, no payment information would have been recorded. You will need to reprocess this payment to recieve a deposit from a credit card. 

Our Customer Success Team can reach out to this customer on your behalf and request them to contact you if they received an email receipt. 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to me. 🙂

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Best Answer

Hello @wolfewoman13, welcome to the Seller Community! 

I can shed some light on the payment method "other". It's an option on Square Point of Sale commonly used for recording payments by check. It's not limited to checks, but it creates a record of a payment. If a credit card was swiped with "other" selected, no payment information would have been recorded. You will need to reprocess this payment to recieve a deposit from a credit card. 

Our Customer Success Team can reach out to this customer on your behalf and request them to contact you if they received an email receipt. 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to me. 🙂

Message 2 of 17

Thank you Chad. That was my assumption. I reached out to the customer myself and remedied the situation. Thank you for reaching out to me 

Message 3 of 17

Hi there, We received a payment marked as "other tender". I don't see this hitting our bank as a deposit and not sure how to classify? Also when will it process to my account? Very puzzled as to how I can enter this $ in Quickbooks so that the sales reconcile against the reports from Square.

Any insight is helpful!

Thanks

Kristin

Message 4 of 17

Hey @klangford, have you had the chance to see my response above? 

Message 5 of 17

They already think they paid and have a receipt. How do I go to them and ask them to pay again?  They used a credit card so won't that show up in their account as already paid?

Message 6 of 17
Admin

Hi @Windowlady. If you haven't already I recommend calling our Customer Sucess team. They'll be able to check your transaction history and confirm if this payment was processed as 'Other tender' (recorded) or if their card was actually charged. The number to call is 1 (855)700-6000 but you'll also need your customer code to speak to a team member. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 17

No help what so ever.

Message 8 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Toni6952.

It seems one of your payments was recorded as Cash, as opposed to being processed as a Credit Card. If this was the case then please know that each time you use Square to accept a payment, you have the option to process a credit card or record a cash or other tender (check or 3rd-party gift card) payment.

The Cash and Other Tender payment options are available for organizational purposes only. No funds are actually processed when a payment is entered as cash – even if the card was swiped, and we’re not able to process these transactions as payment card information was never actually entered into our system. To process these funds and receive the transfer, you will need to contact your customer. Also, to balance out your books, you can always refund accidental Cash or Other Tender payments. Read more about issuing refunds.

If you’d like to disable the option to record Cash or Other Payment Types, or would like to move this option lower in your checkout screen, you can customize payment types at any time.

To disable this via Square Point of Sale visit More > Settings > Checkout > Payment > From here you can disable any undesired method.

To disable this via Virtual Terminal you can visit your Virtual Terminal Settings here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 17

I exempted payment under other a charge the customers card however I can not get it to deposit into my account what do I do

JG

Message 10 of 17

This has nothing to do with a receipt I  Charge  Customers card Ander ever it has not deposited into my account I cannot seem to access it in any way that I can find

Message 11 of 17
Super Seller Alumni

Check out this thread which addesses your issue exactly.  The post marked as Best Answer tells you what to do.

Judy T Shumway
Message 12 of 17

Thank you so much that's it exactly 😀

Message 13 of 17

Same i still havent figured it out, my account says square paid me $0.01 out of the $5 my customer was charged...

Message 14 of 17

Hi @111nk - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

It sounds like you should take a look at your Transfer Report. This will show you a breakdown of the fees deducted from the payment and the amount that was transferred to you.

1. Visit Balance in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Select the available balance section under locations.
  3. Choose “view all transfers.”
  4. Select a date range of your choice.
  5. Select the transfer you’d like to view to see the transfer details, including individual card payment.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.
Violet
Message 15 of 17

We are new to Square and have a question.  One of our associates put a M/C gift card under the Gift Card payment option.  My bookkeeper said our settlement did not include the :Other Column"

Is there a way to recover funds?

Also if a customer changes their mind during a transaction, is there a way to void the transaction.

Thanks for your help.

Message 16 of 17

Hey @3245 and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to one of the existing thread that addresses this same question for Cash/Other payments.

There's not a way to recover these payments since there was no actual card information captured once "Other" was chosen for payment tender.

You can reach out to our CS team as mentioned in the Best Answer to see if there was a digital receipt sent for our team to reach out to the customer on but can't guarantee we will be able to reach them to have them contact you to pay again.

Here's an existing thread on voiding transactions as well. You can only refund transactions but they can't necessarily be voided.

In the future don't hesitate to search your answer first either here on the Community search bar or the Support Center for your quickest answer too! The Seller Community is intended for seller to seller conversation so we don't typically respond here right away.

Ashley C
Message 17 of 17