x

Power for contactless chip reader

I use Square for a limo business so all of my sales are on the road. I am still using the stripe card reader. If I upgrade to the contactless chip reader and don't use it for a couple weeks will it lose it's charge? Also how long does it take to power on the device? I would keep the device in my car so it could get hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there.

The Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader will go to sleep on it's own after a couple of hours of inactivity. 

If you have a car charger, you can definitely keep the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader plugged in and charged since the charging port is a standard mini-usb port. 

In regards to temperature, you should be completely fine storing your Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader in your car during each season. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Best Answer

Hi there.

The Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader will go to sleep on it's own after a couple of hours of inactivity. 

If you have a car charger, you can definitely keep the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader plugged in and charged since the charging port is a standard mini-usb port. 

In regards to temperature, you should be completely fine storing your Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader in your car during each season. 

Message 2 of 14

Thanks @EJ_

Message 3 of 14

I am considering purchasing the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader. Does the chip card reader come with a wall charger? Or, can I use my cell phone charger with it?

Thank you!

Lana

Message 4 of 14

I bought mine on eBay. Don't think it came with a charger but maybe a new one would. It uses a standard Android phone charger. 

Message 5 of 14

@lanaisaacson The Contactless and Chip Card Reader does come with a micro-USB cable to charge it. Since it's a fairly standard charging port, you should have no issues if you wish to use a 3rd party cable.

Please reply back if you have any other questions! 🙂

Message 6 of 14

Does anyone know how long the Square Contactless and Chip Reader stays charged?

I do craft shows and don't always have access to an electrical outlet, so I would need to charge it and use it for 8 hours without it being plugged into an outlet.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 14

Hey @BubblySoap, with a full charge the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader should last for a complete day of sales. This will depend on the volume of transactions you're running. If you're constantly doing one sale after another, the battery will drain faster than usual. 

Alternatively you could look into getting an external charger. This will allow you to have power on hand just in case! 😀

Message 8 of 14

Thanks Chad, that's very helpful to know!

Message 9 of 14

@BubblySoap You're welcome, and I wish you the best of luck at your next craft show. 😀

Message 10 of 14

1. Once "dead," how long does the chip reader need to be plugged in before it can be used? Can it be used while plugged in and charging? 2. How do you know when it's done charging? Is there a way to check the amount of charge left?

Message 11 of 14

Hi @ScrapBuzz

The Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader takes about 2 hours to fully charge, and you can use the reader to take payments while it's charging. 

We actually sell a charging dock station that you can have your Contactless and Chip Card Reader connected to at all times so it never dies on you. 

When the reader is fully charged, you'll see green lights when you press the button on the front of the reader. You can also check your battery level in the Settings of your Square App. 

Message 12 of 14

Thank you! Very helpful info. The dock isn't practical. I don't always have access to an outlet. Knowing how to check the battery level will help greatly!

Message 13 of 14

@ScrapBuzz Glad I was able to help, and let me know if you need anything else 👍🏼

Message 14 of 14