x

Selling by the pound.

We sell processed whole chickens as one of our items.  Each chicken has been weighed and priced.  Each one is priced differently due to the difference in weight of each bird.  Since we sell by the pound, how do we do this in the online store?  If we have 100 chickens all priced differently, what is the easiest solution?

We have category - Poultry

Items - Whole chicken. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @alaskaberries

If you have the item quantities per pound in your Item Library, that will transfer over to the Online Store. It will look something like this. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 7

Hi Kassi,

We have the same issue. We are a Butcher Shop & Deli. Selling Meats/Poultry and Deli Meats by the pound. We fill an order to the customer's requirements of size/weight/pieces. Weights are always different. When we go to the register we have to use "Keypad" and just put in the price for faster checkout times. This is not ideal for us or the customers to know what each item is with the final price. It just states "Custom Item" on each line.

We have CAS LP-1000 Scales which apparently are not compatible with Square. How can we scan the barcode from the label of the scale to register?

We have tried to input the SKU from the label of the scale in the "Item SKU", that does not work.

We have added in the Item>Modifier for a "Custom Amount". That is a long way to get to the end goal.  Finding the Item>Choosing Item>Custom Amount>Input Weight>ADD

There has to be a better way. We have a few hundred items! We hope to have this process streamlined. Our hope is to be able to scan the barcode of the sticker from the weight machine with the correct pricing of the product.

Is it possible to have Square's Keyboard be able to "Swipe" in stead of just be analog typing? 

Thank You

Message 3 of 7

Hey there, @ViolantesMeat

Thank you for posting in the Community! 

Did you set up a base price and unit for any of these items? Doing this would allow the actual item to show instead of showing Custom Amount when they check out. 

When it comes to the barcode scanner, are you looking to use it to scan in your inventory? And using the scale to get the start inventory in there. 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Message 4 of 7

Hi Kassi,

Regarding Checking a Customer out for their Custom Weighed Items, such as Cold Cuts and Meat products. Every item is in our system individually priced by weight per pound. Our goal is to scan the barcode to expedite the checkout process and have customer list itemized in place of repeatedly seeing "Custom Amount".

Our CAS LP-1000 scales currently do not connect with Square. The barcodes created on the stickers of the item weight does not register when scanned. Our goal is to just scan in the product with final weight amount. We are not looking to scan in our inventory, although that would be nice!

We currently would have to go into the product and manipulate the pricing/weight to get the correct final amount. We are looking for a faster way with less steps to get to our desired end result. Currently we just use the number keypad to add the final cost of each weighed item.

Any new information or ideas on this topic? Thank You.

Message 5 of 7

Thank you for giving me some more insight on how you're using the scale and weight for your items, @ViolantesMeat

I do not have an update for you, currently. As soon as there are developments with this feature, one of our Community Moderators will post a Product Update in the Community to let everyone know. 

I appreciate you checking in about this feature request and how this would make your business run more efficiently. 

Keep an eye out for those Product Updates! 

Kassi
Message 6 of 7

Deli Label has been the answer at our market. https://www.delilabel.app

Communicates beautifully with Square and was purpose-built for this issue.

Message 7 of 7