x

Square Chip Card Reader only recognized as magstripe on new iPad

I am attempting to use a Square Chip Card Reader on an iPad 6th generation.  The device is only recognized as a magstripe reader on iOs version 11.4.1.  I plug the same reader into an older Samsung Galaxy Tab S and it's recognized as both chip and magstripe reader.  Running the latest version of the point of sale app.  I even removed and reinstalled. 

I was planning to get another ipad for a sale we have coming up.  Any tips as to why it's not recognized as chip reader too?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @rycokelley that's super weird. 

This is the first time I've heard of this happening. Quick question are you running the most up to date version of Square Point of Sale? 

Message 2 of 4

I'm having the exact same problem. And then support isn't open but on weekdays. smh

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Really sorry to hear that you're encountering this issue as well, @v289skyr. That shouldn't be happening.

If you haven't had the chance already, please give these troubleshooting tips a run-through as they usually resolve these kinds of issues right away: Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Troubleshooting.

Hope that helps—if those don't resolve, please reply here with more information on the exact iOS you're running or any error message you're receiving. You can also get in touch with a member of our Customer Success team via email on the weekends.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 4